Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Computer microscope

Posted by bspofford Maine (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 29, 08 at 11:12

On another thread, itsdeb posted a video she shot using a computer microscope. I googled that, and feel like I've just discovered a new world! Yeah, I know, kicking and screaming right into the new millenium.....

So, I see price ranges from about $150 buck to thousands. For scoping out pests, I don't think I would need thousands, but am sure interested in acquiring one. What a neat deal!

Itsdeb and others with any experience with these, please educate the rest of us!

Barbara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Computer microscope

I first saw this on another forum and I think if you can afford it, it is really something to have.

Pictures, or movies taken of these bugs will help us all as to how they look and move. I am able to see mite (when I have them) with a 30X jeweler's loupe but with the microscope you see much better and see movement much better.

Nancy

o

Do a search on Google for USB microsocpe. Mine is a QX5 and costs around $100. It plugs into a USB port on the computer and displays what it sees on the monitor. It has a built in camera and can take still shots or movies. I can't tell you how impressed I have been with this thing. It comes with very easy to use software. I installed it and was looking at mites within about 30 minutes. It has two magnifications, 60X and 200X. The movies I posted were filmed at 60 magnification. If you will look in my PhotoBucket folders, you'll find one where I also filmed a springtail. Talk about ugly!

ItsDeb

Here is a link that might be useful: Springtail

o

Thanks, ladies, I will pursue this in a bit.

I have an old microscope without any objectives, and this is certainly the way to go, with the photo capability, rather than trying to resurrect it.

What will they think of next?

Barbara

Barbara

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here