Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celticcraftress

North-East Window

celticcraftress
13 years ago

Hello everyone. I don't know why I had so much trouble searching for an answer about this, so I thought I would make a post. I am moving into my fiance's apartment, and naturally, im bringing my AV's. He told me his apartment window (which is huge) is a North-East facing window. I tried to search how AV's do in this window, but coulden't get a straight answer. Do you think they'll do well?

Comments (5)

• snappyguy
    13 years ago

I keep several AVs in a north, and a north-east facing window. All do very well. I do live in the southern USA though, so I'm not 100% sure how they'll do where you are. Ultimately, the plants will tell you. I think you'll be ok, but if you see the leaves reaching upward you'll need to provide them with more light, either in a different window or with artificial lighting.

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Snappyguy is right!

I am sure that your guy will be happy to install a fluorescent shoplight just above your violets as a housewarming gift. The shoplight makes your violets happy to grow even if you do not have a nice window. You can put a setup for your violets in any place where you can enjoy them, they will be free of drafts - and make some dark corner brighter.

Good Luck

Irina

• celticcraftress
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much for the replies! Right now the plant babies have a florecent light setup, and they really enjoy it. I am bringing it with me just-in-case. But I have never had AV's in a natural window setup before because my current window is less then ideal, so I am eager to give it a try (and save a little electric!). It's good to know it's worth a try at least, so i'll give it a try and see how their growth is. If they look unhappy, always possible to switch back. But I have this image in my head of my little violets growing in the window, that's so sweet.

• robitaillenancy1
    13 years ago

It depends on a few things: Any overhang or outdoor awning?

It depends on where you are from also. I am from Montreal, Canada, so my northfacing window gets little to no light all winter. My plants are in a western site. I wouldn't recommend a western site to anyone in Arizona or any hot southern state. So it really does depend on where you live.

A shop light about would probalby be the best situation if possible. Don't forget to turn those plants every few days so light hits all sides of the plant.

Nancy

• quimoi
    13 years ago

I would try them first. As others have said, it depends on other factors. Is there some extra shade from a tree or another building? Do you live where it's sunny or is it often cloudy?

They may be just fine, or some varieties may do quite well and some may need extra light and you can get a light for those. The size of the window is a definite plus.

(The window light is definitely an option but may not be necessary.)

Optimara Texas is one that does just fine in my windows. Harbor Blue is another. Fredette's Risen Star, Taffeta Petticoats, Snuggles, and Feather. Okay, there are some to try if yours don't like it and remember that violets, like cats, generally don't like change :). They may take some time to adjust. Good luck!

Diana in PA
    (also Optimara Modesty, although I keep 2)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022