Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nwgatreasures

Broken Hearted :(

nwgatreasures
14 years ago

Remember that beautiful, perfectly symetrical plant with the purple blooms that I shared a few weeks ago?

The one that Barbara recommended that I groom/grow for the national show?

the one with the gorgeous varigation on the leaves??

The one that I've been talking to each and every morning telling him that I'm growing him to take to Raleigh???

The one that I've been thinking about day/night and how great he continued to grow so well?

this morning.....my husband lost his balance on a step stool as he was cleaning the ceiling fan and when he fell....guess which plant caught him?

You guessed it. Every leaf on the right side of the plant is broken and mush.....and while I know it was an accident....I am still heartbroken.

Please pray for me....not necessarily cause of the plant but some other things that have been set in motion and will just have to play themselves out before we arrive at a place of peace.

Dora

Comments (14)

• raven_ladybug
    14 years ago

Oh Dora! I am so sorry to hear that. (Hugs)I hope the "other things" will quickly work themselves out.
    Wishing you a better day soon,
    Raven

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

I have a wacky question....is your husband alright?

• irina_co
    14 years ago

I second TommyR -

Our best and most precious Violets - are our husbands.

And he could land on the cat! ;-00

Irina

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Dora -

good luck and safe journey through all turns and rocks and mud life throws on our way.

We'll meet in Raleigh - hopefully at that time you will have everything under control. We'll drink to the memory of your great plant - and for even better plants we all are to grow!

Irina

Regarding my best AV - DH - we were loading the car - and I asked my hubby to hold the large blooming plant - and in 30 sec. 5 (five) leaves were broken - and he didn't even land on it

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Not a wacky question at all.....My husband is fine (thankfully)...but he feels so guilty about what happened.

I've still got that huge epecia and I may be able to find another one to groom/grow for show and maybe in a few days, I'll be over the dissapointment that it won't be what I thought it was going to be.

Dora

• bspofford
    14 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear about the accident. I know how disappointed you must be.

Remind me to tell you about the antique bell jar when we meet in Raleigh.....

Barbara

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hi Dora,
    Sorry to hear about that plant, however, it's not always the largest plant that wins BIS. Look around your area and see if you have a nice smaller one of for that matter even a mini ro a semi. They are much easier to carry and to transport to show.
    Fred in NJ

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fred,
    this WAS a semi.....LOL.....beautiful........symetry,,,,,,total plant leaf span about the size of my hand...........oh, well :)

I had identified several that I was going to groom for show and I still ahve those, although they are nothing close to what the other one *was*.

Life goes on :)

It'll be quite interesting to see what I wind up with in 3 months....probabaly nothing close to what I expect now, LOL

Thanks everyone,
    Dora

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Dora,
    You never can tell, semis grow quickly.
    Fred in NJ

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I agree, Fred.

A lot can happen in 12 weeks.
    After grooming that broken plant, I am still left with 2 solid rings of healthy leaves.....I've got plenty of time to see how this beauty can grow and produce.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone,
    Dora

• planthoarder
    14 years ago

Hi Dora,
    So sorry to hear about your show plant,but glad to hear you are bouncing back abit with all these great posts from all! Happy to hear hubby is fine!
    I'm sure all will grow well for you too and through it all you will have a wonderful show plant! Enjoy that trip to Raliegh and my best wishes to you, Linda in NJ

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Dora I read on another post chamomile tea works for plant woes. It's the added shot that clears your mind.:-P

• angolita
    14 years ago

Dora, sorry about your plant but, I know it will come back healthy and strong. Angela

• contrarymarypat
    14 years ago

Dora,

I hope your plant is recovering quickly and glad your husband wasn't hurt. I hope your other "things" have resolved and you are doing well.
    Wish I could go to Raleigh, but it's not in the cards for me this year. I have only been addicted to AVs for a year or so, have not joined a club yet, but since I have moved to KC I plan to join one soon. I go to the show/sales every chance I get.

Mary

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida