Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping semis in miniature pots

Posted by Patpat52 Ky (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 12:27

In the 70's I was a violet fanatic,converting a bedroom into my garden room,rigging tables out of boards and concrete blocks(newly married and poor). I was gifted with old shop lights from a friends parents and I raised hundreds of violets before husband was transferred and I didn't have room in the new location. A few months ago I picked up an Optimara at Lowes and I seemed to have caught the fever again. Now we are retired and space is at a premium so I love all of the new miniatures and miniature trailers. All of that history to ask if anyone has been able to keep their semis in a miniature state by repotting into the same pot and removing out side leaves?I am really enjoying the all the information.
Patpat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping semis in miniature pots

A friend keeps hers small. Every 3 to 4 months she repots minis and 4 to 6 months the semi's. She always takes off all the lower leaves leaving only 3 rows of leaves. I have not tried that, it seems like taking too much off, but it works well for her.

It must be quite a surprise to find there are so many different varieties of violets now. I discovered the minis in 1999 and have been hooked since. I also love the trailing violets.

tish

o
RE: Keeping semis in miniature pots

Thanks Tish ! You are right, the number of available minis is amazing. I have ordered a couple of mini trailers that I should receive next week. I can't to see how they perform.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here