Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okie_deb

Need help with learning to wick,,,

okie_deb
14 years ago

I have bought 2 different kinds of self watering pots,,,Dandy Pots and Oyama pots.

I know you use a drier mix when wicking AV's but how far up towards the roots do you insert the wick? Or,,should the wick be just a bit up into the bottom soil? I wouldn't think you would want it right at the roots or they could rot but too far down would it draw enough water up towards the roots?

Any advise so when I re-pot into the new pots would be appreciated so I do it right.,,,Debbie

Comments (8)

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hi Debbie,
    Oyama pots don't require wicks. There should be instructions in the package on how to use them. I have never used dandy pots simply because they would not be acceptable at violet shows. For the Oyamas there are lines on the inside of the inner pot. The line is where you fill with perlie and then add your plant on top of it. I would use a very light mix, 1-1-1. From what I can see, the dandy pot sits on top of a base which holds the water. As for how to pot into it, I would more than likely do it similar to the Oyama. Hope this helps.
    Fred in NJ

• okie_deb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Fred! The Oyama pots I bought used so they didn't come with instructions. I'll look at one and find the lines inside the pot your talking about.
    The Dandy Pots have a wick inside the package. So I guess they will need one inserted. I haven't opened a package yet.
    My question more is how far up into the soil from the bottom of the pot do you insert a wick? Up right where the roots are or below the roots some or possibly wind the wick at the bottom inside the pot?,,,Debbie

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

I bring my wick up to the bottom of the root system.

Dora

• okie_deb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's what I needed to know.
    Thanks Dora!,,,Debbie

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hi Debbie,
    I wick my plants so that the wick extends over the edge of the top of the pot. I use 4 ply acryllic yarn for standards and divide it into two plies for semis and minis.
    Fred in NJ

• okie_deb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fred,,,so do you have the wick just run up along the side of the pot and over the top edge? Or do you run the wick closer to the plants placement towards the center of the pot?
    I have received some plants from Karin Dean at B,B & B that have crochet yarn running through the solo cup about a half inch from the bottom. She must use a big needle and just threads it cross ways through the cup. It's always fresh yarn. Some have the yarn as well as the white cord type wick. The cord type is in through the bottom of the cup going up towards the roots.
    I just want to be assured where I place the wick the plant is going to get moisture but not get so much the roots will risk rotting.,,,Debbie

• hornman
    14 years ago

I tried wicking for the 1st time and killed my plants. I'm sort of new at this and thought wicking would take the guess work out of watering. Plants stayed way to wet. I did use the lighter soil formula but I did not remove the old soil from around the plant's roots. Is this were I went wrong?

Bill in Pa

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hi,
    For my plants in solo cups I run the wick from the bottom center over to one side and up and over the side. In a normal squat pot I do basically the same thing. But before I put a wick in, I put a small circle of plastic screening in to keep the mix from leaking out the bottom.
    Fred in N J

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions