Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
m3rma1d

interesting thoughts about avsa/fc2 pics...

m3rma1d
15 years ago

This was posted on another forum I belong to, and is sparking some interesting conversation about some "issues" that've always been on my mind (and apprently others' minds as well!), so I thought I'd share here and see how GardenWebbers feel... (I got permission and encouragement from the original author to repost this on other forums):

Forgive my Ranting and Raving please

Last night I went to bed a little angry! I've been disappointed from my first issue of AVM at the quality of the pictures, dark, out of focus. I sent a letter to AVSA and was told that it was a publisher problem. Then I got the 2009 AVSA Calender, and again the pictures were dark, out of focus and many poorly composed. If it is a publishing problem.....it's time to get a new publisher!

My hobby, since I was a little kid, has been photography. I'm not the greatest, but, I try not to show one of my pictures that I wouldn't hang on my best friends wall. As critical as I can be about others photo's, I'm even more critical of myself.

So this morning I wake up and download the latest update for FC2. What do I find? Half the new photographs are crap, and half the blossoms I'd be ashamed to say were one of my hybrids. FC2 is not the place for fancy lighting or artistic endeavors or to show the blossom of your very first blooming seedling (I'm happy for you, but show it on a forum not FC2), it's to show for judging reference and our reference, what the blossoms and the plant, look like! (Something to add to the hundreds of AV's already on your wish list!)

With the advances of Digital Photography, there's really no reason for bad photos. You can take a hundred pictures and at least one should come out right, we hope, and only keep the best, and what did it cost you. Unlike film photography where you took your 36 shots, took them to the drug store, waited to get them back, paid umptynine dollars, only to find that your shutter malfunctioned! When I take pictures of my plants......I may take 10-15 shots or more before I get one I like.......what did it cost me...nothing...just my time and I got to see them right away.

PS: if you agree with me about the quality of the pics in the AVM, and the AVSA Calender, please let AVSA know. Those pics are my way of adding just one more plant to fuel my addiction!

My (mayhaps controversial) reply to this original post was:

There's so many pics by Winston J. Goretsky that I just shake my head & think "Why did he allow his name to be credited with this crap?"

I met him at convention and he's a nice enough guy & all but.... Wow. His pics are supposed to be THE STANDARD for us AV lovers, and well... the majority of them just suck.

Comments (12)

• dragonfly2008
    15 years ago

Hi Mermaid
    I hope everyone understands that AVSA works on an extremely tight budget. They are experiencing difficult financial times just like most all of us these days. Aside from the 3 ladies in the AVSA office, all the other jobs are strictly volunteer positions, and it is not that easy to get people to participate. Trust me when I say there is not a single extra dollar in the budget. We are lucky that Mr. Goretsky gives so much of his time so freely.
    The same goes for FC2, all pictures are donated by members. AVSA desperately needs to update their web site, but they have been quoted $30,000 for a professional to do the job. They are trying to raise the money, but so far they have collected less than $2,000 to the effort.
    It is like every other organization, a few people donate tons of their own time and effort and money to support an organization, and lots of others just sit around and complain rather than try to help out.
    Anyway, I hope I don't ruffle any feathers, but I am an ardent supporter of AVSA and I just had to put my two cents in! :)

• m3rma1d
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"It is like every other organization, a few people donate tons of their own time and effort and money to support an organization, and lots of others just sit around and complain rather than try to help out."

I'd LOVE to help out. I'mna figure out a way to do it. Then I can complain AND be part of the solution maybe :-)

• dragonfly2008
    15 years ago

I am sure they would dearly LOVE to have your assistance. Can I forward your contact information to the "powers that be"? (My "other half" is a board member)

• m3rma1d
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes indeedly do!

• all4birds
    15 years ago

I haven't seen the photo's in question and haven't gotten my first magazine yet but JMO $20,000 is a ridiculous price to pay for a website. If the web site needs to be updated they should really shop around. For that matter there are students just out of school that would do the work for free, or for a very small sum, just to be able to use the website in their resume. I was browsing on Craig's list and saw several ads. Money is tight everywhere these days and more than one organization is feeling the pinch hard. It's either learn to adapt and cut expenses or go under.

Terry

• dragonfly2008
    15 years ago

I thought that was a huge sum too, but I guess it includes licensing fees (whatever that means) as well as training staff to use and maintain the web site. I know nothing about web site design and all that stuff, but it is good to know that there are people who may be interested in donating their skills to the society. Keep the ideas coming and I will forward them to the AVSA board.

• sewnmom7
    15 years ago

hi all, inquiring minds want to know, what is "FC2', i'm sure its related to AVSA, but who, what is it? thanks , molly

• Christine
    15 years ago

Molly, FC2 stands for First Class Version 2, a computer program with a database of 16598 (and growing) registered AVs. There are about 6,000 photos too. I got the program a few months ago. You can search for AVs with certain characteristics, upload your own info, print labels, and do other things, like drool over some very cool plants!

The FC2 web site has a lengthy discussion about the lack of good quality photos, stating that a mediocre one is better than none at all. I agree: itÂs frustrating that over 10,000 hybrids donÂt have photos in the database. Good quality pictures are solicited! Complaining AV photography buffs can be part of the solution by submitting high quality pictures (of show plants, their own plants, and those of friends and club members) for inclusion in the database. The link below is the FC2 web site. The program may be purchased from the AVSA at
    http://www.avsa.org/Store/Books.html#First%20Class%20MVL%20Program

Getting into AVs is forcing me to learn photography in order to share photos on forums like this one. The original poster said you could take 100 photos and at least one should come out right. That's a good description of my current skill level, so I sure won't be submitting any photos to FC2 real soon!

Here is a link that might be useful: First Class Version 2

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Mermie -

I very much agree with you that the pics could be better. But - they use what they have. You are a very-very good photographer and I bet most of the available pics - are very amateurish plus done at the beginning of the digital photography era - so they are small, grainy and what not.

But - better to have so-so pic, than none, a lot of AVs, registered more than 10 years ago are hopelessly gone - so there would never be another pic. At least it gives us an idea.

I think there is a way to donate a better pic to FC2 support team to replace the current pics to a better ones. We can see for some of the varieties alternate pics appear - so they accept new ones.

I would say there should be some standards for new pics - no less than so many bytes, the whole plant instead of a partial one - or a good pic of several blooms for the second pic. Since so many AV people are playing with their digital cameras - I bet it is quite possible to collect better pics.

My eye is not as good as Mermie's - so I am a big fan of Winston Goretsky.

This year calendar - January page - is strange. The blooms seem brown - and they are not. I decided that I am just not sophisticated enough to appreciate this pic. So I am waiting for February to turn this page.

Mermie - are you going to Reno?

Hugs

Irina

• m3rma1d
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"Mermie - are you going to Reno?"

Hoping to! Doing some juggling and trying to figure it all out... And crossing my fingers :-D

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

HI M3 and all,
    Mr. Goretskys pics are generally shot at convention and his shoot is quite private. I tried to shoot along with him at one point but my efforts were rebuffed. As for pictures in FC2, all you have to do is submit them to Joe Bruns and he will accept the pictures he likes best. I have done this many times and have a growing list of photo credits on the site. Many of the older violets that are no longer around were copied from old slides and photos so the quality is not always the best. But as has been said before anything is better than nothing which is important if you are a judge and have never seen a specific hybrid.
    Fred in NJ

• bspofford
    15 years ago

2 cents worth..... I have also been told that many of the photos in the AVSA magazine appear dark because of the publishing. However, not all are dark, so I should think there is more than one way to resolve this problem.

Regarding the quality of Mr. Goretsky's photos; the composition appears fairly good, it's mostly the darkness that is a flaw. Publishing or operator error, it really detracts from the quality of the magazine. If I were he, I would insist on the publisher printing a better photo. If it is not the publisher, the publisher should have an idea what will print okay and what won't, and not accept sub-standard photos.

Also, the photos in FC2 are credited to many different people.

Barbara

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022