Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
secsteve

Why aren't they blooming?

secsteve
10 years ago

Please ignore the date on the photo. I forgot to change it.

This is the first photo of two. I grew these from leaves from a blue plant that was dying. They rooted and I then planted them in the pots.

As you can see, some of the leaves are bright green while others are yellow. To date, only plant has had a flower on it and that was at least two years ago.

I am at a loss as to why they appear to be doing well, then turn yellow and no blossoms.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (9)

• paul_
    10 years ago

While we wait for more knowledgeable folk to pop in, may I as if your photo is actually THAT old -- as the date stamp says "2001"?

The yellowing of leaves may indicate a nutrient deficiency. The lack of blooms, based on my experience with orchids and other plants may be the result of insufficient light and/or a nutrient deficiency.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Steve,

When was the last time you re-potted? Ideally, you should re-pot every six months as the soil gets worn, nutrients are used up and the pH may be affected. Have you fertilized? Plants get hungry like we do.

Re-pot and remove all brown, yellow and off-green leaves. Their chlorophyll factories have shut down and are no longer of any use to your plant. This yellowing is a natural occurrence as leaves age and die off. Your violet will be much smaller but your center leaves look good.

Re-pot in a smaller pot, one-third the size of your plant, (yes, your pot will be very small). Since it appears you only have one violet, get a small bag of AV soil and a small bag of perlite. Mix the perlite to about a one-third ratio to the soil. Do not fertilize for a while as the soil usually has fertilizer in it. It will say on the bag.

Put your plant where it will get better light, not sun, than it has been getting. You should begin to see bloom after a re-pot and a light adjustment.

It sounds like a hassle but it really isn't! Good luck!

Linda

• Karin
    10 years ago

Lol, I could have read this first before posting on the other thread - at least I didn't suggest the opposite :-p

• secsteve
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linda,

I haven't re-potted since I planted them. I didn't realize they needed re-potting that often. My two older, pink plants haven't been re-potted in ages and are doing extremely well and bloom frequently.

There are actually two plants and the second one is the one that says second photo.

What is AV soil and would I find that at Lowes or Home Depot?

I'll try putting them in our sun room. It's much brighter in there and gets sun from the East most of the day. I remember my mom saying that was the best.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Steve,

Re-potting is crucial in growing good violets. The goal is every six months although sometimes this stretches into a year for those who have a lot of plants. You are lucky your other ones are doing well without having been re-potted; this is usually not the case.

You can get your soil and perlite at HD or Lowe's. You can use special AV soil or just potting soil. I've used both with success. Remember-do not over-pot.

Put them where they will get good light but not sun although a bit of morning sun is usually not harmful and can encourage blooming. And your Mom was correct; Eastern exposure is usually the best for growth and blossoming.

I hope this helps.

Linda

• secsteve
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linda,

While removing the brown and yellow leaves, I discovered that one pot actually has two small plants in it and the other three small plants! Could that be another reason why there have been no blooms?

So I guess I'll need to buy more pots than I originally thought.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Steve,

No, this has no affect on blooming. Your violets are not blooming because your old, worn-out soil does not have enough 'goodies' left in it to allow for blooming. Blooming takes a tremendous amount of effort on a plant's part and therefore there must be enough nutrients to boost it along.

Divide your plantlets into separate pots. Again, do not over-pot! If some of the babies have no root system, plant them with the crown slightly in the soil, put in a baggie, water until moist and seal tightly. Put in a good light spot and you should have roots in about two weeks or so.

If you need help, just ask away!

Linda

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

I have also found that some AVs bloom frequently and some do not.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

That's true, as well, but if you read the original post, it's been over two years since they bloomed. That is a culture, not a variety, issue.

Linda