Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
parsnippy

Identifying an African Violet

Parsnippy
9 years ago

Greetings All, I am new to the site! I was wondering if you could help me to find the name of this violet? It has Heart shaped(somewhat), Serrated leaves. the blossom in the picture is pink and each bloom has two petals has a darker border. I was thinking it may be Little Apache Girl, but I am not sure. Also, when i first got this violet many years ago, it was much darker, more towards purple red.

TIA!!

Comments (9)

• Karin
    9 years ago

I am not particularly current on pink african violets, but maybe you want to try thee "african violet ID group"" on Facebook..

Good luck

Karin

• Parsnippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply Karin, I am actually in that group lol. But no one responded on this particular one( I had other violets, of which the group was a great help!) .

• snappyguy
    9 years ago

Unless the plant came with a label from Optimara on it, you can't identify the hybrid. There are over 10,000 registered hybrids, and estimates range between 3-4 times that many unregistered hybrids. With at least 40,000 hybrids in existence, and pink being one of the first colors other than purple to appear, it simply can't be ID'd. Enjoy the plant for what it is, but don't worry about a name. In reality, names are only needed if you plan to show it in an AVSA show anyway.

Mark

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Off topic, but you might want to join the exchange forum in the spring. I also live in Calif and go to an AV club where I trade plants or just get samples. To find AV clubs , just search at the Ava's website. There is one in SF , one in San Mateo, one in Sacramento and one or more in southern cal. As Mark aptly pointed out, your plant cannot be ID but we enjoy the photo and welcome. By the way, it is definitely not an apache or a girl type. It is most likely an Optimara. Or it might be a locally grown California plant. They morph all the time, often reverting to their original parent .p.s . To the new poster, as I live in California , I will be happy to send you clippings in the spring . They usually survive the mail when going a short distance.
    To Karin , I did not know about FB I'd ! To Mark, a great overview I will save to public clippings as you summarize the state if the art.

• Parsnippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the input!! I had actually replied earlier, but i guess it didn't pass =P... I was just curious since most of the violets I have seen have names... and you are right , I don't have to know the name, but I'm the type of person who likes to put a name to a face, so to speak =)
    @fortyseven where in california do you live?

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Call it Emily or Moody Pink if it makes you happy...lol, just don't pass along the name to anyone that you give the plant to.

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Par snippy , see what autocorrect does to your name ?!
    I ' m in the east bay or suburb of San Fran and mostly go to the SF club . Are you in the south? There are other online groups with members in calif. I think one is called Violet Reflections.

• Parsnippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@fortyseven, I live in the east bay too =) maybe i will meet you someday if I ever get a chance to go to the SF club!

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Cool! I saw that Garden Web Forum has a listing for the SF club, but it is not up to date. If you do decide to go to a meeting, the SF club has a Facebook page with the location, dates of meetings and times plus info on upcoming shows. There are one or more clubs in the Sacramento area, too. They seem to be active.
    Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Thu, Jan 29, 15 at 19:06

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA