Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spindly african violet

Posted by gardencats2 OR (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 7, 12 at 15:50

I've grown African Violets for years and have never had this problem until we moved to this house a couple years ago. The bottom leaves on my plants are dyeing so I cut them off but that makes the plant get top heavy and look weird at the bottom. The plant keeps growing but the main branch just keeps growing up. Should I plant it deeper covering the area where the leaves used to be? I could probably explain it better if I could post a picture somewhere but I can't find a forum to do so and I can't find where anyone else has posted about this problem.

Thank You
Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spindly african violet

Yes planting it deeper is the way to go. The plant will be much happier.
I do this and repot into the same pot.This is also an opportunity to use fresh mix as the old mix is probably exhausted.

Andrew

o

Hi, Lisa:

Do a search of this forum using "neck" or "necky."

When you repot, make sure you gently scrape the neck so the tissue shows. Roots will grow from the scraped places. And do like Andrew says and plant it deep (up to the bottom row of leaves) and back in the same pot.

Linda

o

You may also have to experiment with different lighting. I've had a couple plants do that, and it wasn't just the sheeding of old leaves; they weren't getting enough light and the stem itself kept growing taller and taller, not just the leaves reaching up. Be careful though, too much light and the plant will stop growing for months.

Tricia

o

Seems that plants are overdue to be repotted, that's it.

Here is a link that might be useful: long neck plants

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here