Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wicking query

Posted by GCTBA none (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 3, 12 at 15:58

I seem to be having trouble starting the capillary action after wicking a newly potted plant.
I soak the wicks first and add a drop of detergent to that water and I'm using Acrylic yarn. I cut the top of the wick flush with the soil level.
Mostly there are no problems but in about 25% cases I have to drop the pot in water after a few days to thoroughly soak the soil in order to start the capillary action.
I'm putting fairly advanced seedlings into 3 inch pots and using my local society mix on top of a quarter inch layer of perlite.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wicking query

Use wet wick and humid soil, put a half inch of soil - make a circle out of the top part of the wick, cover it with soil, continue with the rootball. Put the finished pot in an inch of water for 10 minutes.

If your wicked plants are sitting on the mats - the contact is better and they do not dry out. If the wicks are hanging through the eggcrate - you really need to to make it sure that the capillary action started.

Good Luck

Irina

o
RE: Wicking query

Thanks Irina I think maybe the mix is not wet enough to start the process.
I'll take your advice and put the pots in water for a short time.

Andrew

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here