Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New AVs looking wimpy

Posted by immatater 8a (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 27, 08 at 16:02

I just got a few AV's through the mail. They were wrapped in insulation and had a heat pack. When I opened them, some of the outer leaves are limp and wimpy looking. I pulled off any that looked hopeless. So far I lightly watered them, put them into ziplock bags and placed them into a window with filtered light (my other AVs do well there). Is this the right way to give them the best chance of reviving?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New AVs looking wimpy

You have done the right things so far, but make sure the plants stay out of direct sun while in the baggie, or it may cook them.

If you purchased these plants, I suggest you communicate the condition ASAP with the seller, just to make sure it is documented as to the condition upon arrival.

Good luck.

Barbara

o

Hi,
I agree with Barbara but just make sure you check them regularly to make sure they don't dry out. I do it at least once a week.
Fred in NJ

o

Just to add to the advice you already got -

Most of the broken leaves are usually salvageable. Next time soak the in tepid water for 30 min. and put them down for rooting. It is a big stress for the plants to travel plus with a heatpack, plus in winter - so just in case one of them keels over - you already have the leaves rooting.

Personally I am not concerned if the ordered plant is small - the smaller they are the easier they will adjust to new home, or if the biggest leaves are broken. Frozen or rotten plant should be replaced. Bugs are the biggest concern - so - isolate from the rest of your collection ideally for 3 months. Plastic domes are great things - they work better then the baggie, they give your new plants a recuperation treatment - and they isolate the newbies. I heard that The Cape Cod Violetry carries them, ParkSeed carried them etc.

Good Luck

Irina

o

These leaves were not broken. They were still attached to the plant but were limp and had faint spots on them. I think it was cold damage. After removing the leaves and putting them into ziplocks for a few days, they are coming back to life. :) They all look pretty good except for one that still needs some TLC.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here