Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Powdery mildew-Fung Away?

Posted by flowergirl70ks 5/6KS (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 16:15

Where do I get Green Light Fung Away for african violets? All I can find is for grass in powder form or fruit tree spray. The FAC doesn't make it very clear.
Is there something else to use that is just as good?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Powdery mildew-Fung Away?

www.scots.com
from their website:
Green Light® products help homeowners create beautiful lawns and gardens while promoting growth and controlling unwanted insects, weeds and diseases.

For more information about Green Light products, e-mail us or call toll-free at 1-800-777-5702.

Hope this helps!

o

Flower,

For PM, I use small containers of sulfur in my trays. It works great for me! Plus, it's cheap and easy to find.

Linda

o

Forty seven-Fung Away was discontinued in 2006. The number you gave for Scotts is no good. I think somebody needs to update the FAC's.
Whitelacy, could you elaborate a little more about using sulpher? I don't use trays. Is it in water or powder?

o

Hi FG,
When I had a small outbreak of PM, I read on an older thread on this forum to brush milk on the leaves of plants. I did not try the milk remedy, as I was able to control the PM. I also read that PM is airborne, so perhaps spraying the air in the room with Lysol might help.

Someone else wrote about putting match sticks upside down in the soil for the sulphur content. But no one reported if that was effective.

Joannne 47

o

I tried Lysol and it did not work for me. There is also the danger that the cool mist can spot leaves.

The sulfur is a powder that comes in a plastic container. I put mine in small pans and set it among my violets. If you are window-sill growing, just set a small amount next to your plants. It has no smell and isn't yucky-looking.

I was skeptical when I read about this, but it works great for me and I have LOTS of plants.

Linda

o

Linda, would that be similar to the potassium-metabisulfate you'd use in wine making? I have some of that! With it, if you dissolve it in water, it releases sulfur fumes which disinfect the equipment and fruit... But I am not sure what it would do to the plants themselves... It should work for disinfecting pots and your growing area at least.

Karin

o

Karin,

All I can think about is how long you would have the sulfur smell in your house...

Linda

o

Well, I have some powdered sulpher that I dust dahlia tubers with when I dig for storage in winter. I can certainly try that. I did spray some Lysol yesterday, and I have a fan running in the next room. Hopefully something will help. They are blooming so well now, I hate to lose all the bloom.

o

It sounds like the same thing. I'd give it a try.

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here