Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My very first seed pod!

Posted by pisces73866 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 16, 11 at 16:57

I am so excited I just have to share with someone! I crossed Rob's Scrumptious with Tiny Moon Goddess and got two seed pods! Unfortunately I pulled on one by accident while moving the plant and it wilted the next day :( But I still have the other one! From what I've read I am only 6 months away from my very first hybrids! Any advice?

-Kate

Tiny Moon Goddess w/ Seedpod

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My very first seed pod!

Below is a link to a great website with instructions for growing out your new hybrids. I tried it and it works perfectly. It's a lot of fun to do. There can be dozens of seeds, so make sure you have enough space. If not, plant a few seeds at a time or keep the seedlings small until you've evaluated the others and are ready for more. Good luck. Please post photos of your hybrids. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Janet�s Low-Tech Method For Starting African Violets From Seed

o

Thank you Donna, that website helps! I definitely do not have the room for any more violets, but I figure I have about 6 months to convince my man to let me 'take over' another shelf and get some new lights:)

Do you think it would work to just plant the seeds one at a time into the smaller pots rather than start them in a tray then transplant them? I realize that I probably won't have a 100% sprout rate, but I'll only be planting a few at a time and I don't mind repeating the seeding (and I like the idea of not having to transplant such little babies). I would prepare the soil the same way as for the tray and give all the same treatments just in the smaller pots to start?

-Kate

o

Although it would take up more space initially and be a bit more work for you, I don't see why you couldn't do it. A problem might be in planting only one seed at a time - they are reaaallly tiny!

Since there could be 100 or more seeds in the pod some growers just pick out a certain number of the most vigorous seedlings in the community pot to transplant and grow out. That way they don't have the work of transplanting every seedling, especially if they have a space issue. Your hybrids should be really small so they won't take up as much space to grow out as standards would. My first cross was a large with a standard. I rapidly ran out of space to grow out 16+ inchers!

It'll be interesting to see what your hybrids look like. Please post pictures of them once they start blooming.

o

Just a friendly note--Update your bookmarks for Rachel's Reflections please!! www.rachelsreflections.org

I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to be keeping the creativespill.com domain, so I don't want anyone to get "lost" :-)

o

Thanks m3rmald, I've got the new site bookmarked. Thanks too, for all you've done to keep Rachel's Reflections going!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here