Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
froeschli

My first "wicktims" :-p

Karin
10 years ago

Well, I'd been using the aerogarden as humidity tray and light setup. Now I removed the gravel, put the cover back on and placed the AV's on top of it with the wicks going down into the reservoir.
The spacing isn't as flexible, but the idea is to see whether wicking would work here (makes sense to use it 'almost' as intended)...
I'll report on progress as I see it...

Comments (11)

• Karin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This was the setup before I changed it...
    Oh, and the pump annoyed me, so I disassembled it - now I am debating on turning it back on, but I don't think it would make a difference whether the reservoir water is aerated...

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

I don't think you need the pump.

Linda

• Karin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, the only thing I could see it achieving is prevent some funky smells - which can be done by exchanging the water regularly too.

Karin

• Karin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

First update: the string/cord I used did not work for wicking the water in, I was doubtful about it to begin with, but since some people had mentioned something about builder's twine, and I saw a big spool that our construction crew was using... Anyhow, it's fibres weren't thin enough I think, so it didn't wick up water. I've replaced it with a (fancy :-p) synthetic knitting yarn now, we'll see how that does...

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Synthetic yarn is what I use and I have never used anything else.

Linda

• Karin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, as I continued the experiment, the fancy yarn didn't work, so I went and got actual mason twine.
    Replaced all wicks. Even installed some new ones (wine glasses and mason jars) a few days ago.
    Then panicked and decided the mix was staying too wet. Therefore:
    Pulled all wicks out of the water yesterday. (But left them in the pots)
    Now today all the plants In the aero garden are bone dry, whereas anything installed over a glass is still wet. - I presume this is because the ones in glasses are sitting above the water, with the pot on the rim sealing off outside air circulation.
    So, I am wondering: if the soil/mix dried out within 24 hours, then it couldn't have been too wet, could it?
    Which would mean the aero garden setup worked fine, but the 'decorative' glass ones need adjusting.... (To provide air flow around the pot?)

Opinions? Thanks :-)

Karin

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Karin,

In what way didn't the yarn work?

Linda

• Karin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It just didn't wick much. Turns out there was more fluff than thread on it... I might have used a double or triple strength of it, but it seemed a bit frilly for the purpose to begin with, so when I saw the twine at the dollar store, I just grabbed a roll....

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Karin,

I think maybe you're over-thinking this. Try putting everything on wicks and then wait and see how they do. Just watch your plants and they will tell you what to do. But wait until your new methods have a chance to work-or not. Does this make sense or am I missing the mark?

Linda

• Karin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol, you're right of course. I am just a bit fretful because I put my favourite ones on wicks first, and want to make sure i notice something's off before I lose any plants...
    And, of course, I am reading too much and even with wicking there are 1001 ways to do it, so I constantly wonder if I should've done it another way...

Did I mention I just found out about mat watering? That would be the next experiment, had I not just got rid of all my trays....

Anyhow, I'll give it a couple of weeks and see how it turns out. (I can't believe how many of my violets are suddenly coming into bud, even the ones that aren't in the best of shapes...)

Karin

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Karin,

I have seen so many more plants killed by 'love' than anything else. I believe this is why people who have many plants often do better than those with just a few. They don't have time to hover over every plant every day.

Make sure you have taken leaves from any plant you are going to experiment with. Then, when you try a new growing method, let the plants settle in and see how they respond to the new method.

If your plants look like they are unhappy, tweak don't freak!!!

Linda

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES