Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looks like its time to find it a new home come spring

Posted by paul_ z4/5 MI (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 08 at 17:19

I usually have an awful time with AVs. But I wanted something in my bog terr until some of the other plants got going, so I picked up a "deathrow" plant at Lowes. Here's what's become of it:

01/2008

It's an Optimara Arkansas. As you may be able to tell, it has done well. It has bloomed heavily for me repeatedly. Unfortunately, it is about a foot across now and simply takes up way too much room.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looks like its time to find it a new home come spring

It sure is lovely...
I think you'd end up with more than one plant (which would in turn be smaller) if you divided it up some.

o

wow very inpressive...and what a beautiful color it is!

o

Hi Paul,
I love the term "Deathrow plant" it really describes the way AV's are treated in some stores. If you haven't repotted the plant since you saved it from violet heaven yoou might find that it would help it and at the same time you could take off a number of leaves to reduce the size.
Fred in NJ

o

• Posted by paul_ z4/5 MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 28, 08 at 22:02

LOL, seattlemarigene, if you like it now you should see it when it is in full stride. Maybe later I'll track down one of my older pics and post it for you.

Nah, I'm not really interested in removing leaves to down-size it. While I really love the color, it is just too large a grower. There are a number of carnivorous plants I would like to get in there too but the AV would out compete them. I think I'd like to try some mini AV's in there instead. So perhaps in the spring I'll be able to get a decent trade set up.

:)

o

Minis RULE!
:-D

o

• Posted by paul_ z4/5 MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 29, 08 at 21:28

seattlemarigene, here's a much older pic but shows a much nicer display.

Photobucket

o

I'm not seattlemarigene, but WOW!

o

Forgive my ignorance, but what's a bog terr?

o

terr = terrarium. This AV is in my bog terr. A terr that is kept very wet -- more like a bog. I use it for some of my cp's (carnivorous plants)

:)

o

It's pretty snazzy looking :-)

o

Wow, thanks Paul. That's a whole new world I'm now pondering exploring... but I might need to get rid of some furniture if I want more plants in here. ;0)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here