Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
planthoarder

A Big Thank You!

planthoarder
14 years ago

I want to thank all of you for all the great advice you post here,because of this my plants are blooming and happy again! Also a special thanks to the people who told me to bag the crown that I had potted up,it is not all limp anymore and is doing very well. Thanks for sharing! Linda In NJ

Comments (9)

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Glad you're getting successs and even more that you're happy. One day soon, you'll be able to share tips wtih others who post here :)

Dora

• planthoarder
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi All,
    Remember a few months ago I bought 10 rescues from Lowes for 50 cents each? Anyway they are coming along wonderfully,only 1 did not make it! They are nice and green and have filled their pots full of leaves! I am now waiting for them to bud up and bloom. During their process of restoring themselves as they were budding up I removed all of them (buds) since they did not have many leaves and were in horrible shape, will this affect how long it will take them to bloom because of this removing I did?
    Raven, How is Eve doing? How are her babies? How are all the violets from the order you placed with the Violet Barn doing? How did you make out with your unit you purchased?
    Does anyone else have some sharing of their violets? It would be nice to hear others success stories too!

Well Happy Growing to All! Linda in NJ

Thank u Dora for your sweet reply, how is your garden growing?

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Linda -

I would say that from the moment you last time removed your buds - to all-in-bloom - should go 6-8 weeks.

Good Job

Irina

• raven_ladybug
    14 years ago

Linda,
    It's wonderful to hear that your rescues are doing so well! I love my new unit, though I donÂt think I have my shelf spacing right yet. I need to take it apart and put them a bit closer together now, judging by how some seem to be reaching to the light. I hesitate though because IÂve been planning to try and figure out how to wick some of them and I know that will bring them just a bit closer to the light as well. So much to learn and figure out yet.
    It was sweet of you to ask about Eve, I love that little plant, as she was my first. One of the crowns that I had to cut back so severely has a bud that I have been anxiously watching for a couple of days now. If it opens I will feel like I really have her back.
    As I have worked with the new plants IÂve come to realize just how tough and ole girl Eve was, putting up with my inept growing skills and bad conditions. I tracked down the cause of some of the new plants becoming a bit hard and tight in the centers to the fact that my tap water PH was way to high. IÂm not sure how high, as it was off the chart on the little kit I have. Combining bottled spring water with the tap and such IÂve gotten it down to near neutral and I swear I can hear the plants let out a sigh of relief as their leaves have started to relax now. (chuckles) Of course it is a balancing act. While figuring out my PH problem, I learned that the Physan 20 that I treat the water with to help with dampening off and such was raising my PH even further, so I cut what I was using in half. Of the next set of leaves I put down, half of them rotted. A problem I had not had before. So I need to increase the Physan 20 again and figure out what to do about the PH again. I won some leaves playing leaf Bingo at the local club and am hoping they will take hold for me. And so my journey continues (smiles)
    One fun thing IÂve been trying is to see if I can grow tiny plants. I have Teeny Bopper and RobÂs Galiwinku that IÂve managed to get babies from and pot in very small containers. I ordered some Thumb pots from Cape Cod Violetry and when I unpacked them I squeed with glee so loud that my husband came running in from the other room to see what was the matter. They are so tiny and so cute!
    Hoping that everyone's "balancing act" is going well!
    Raven

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Linda,
    I just love it when things go well for people and they get such pleasure out of their efforts. Yeah!

My garden is growing well :) Or at least my violets are, lol.

It seems like all of the plants that I had left over from our fall violet sale are all in full bloom and my shelves look like solid masses of beautiful shades of violet, white and pink. It's great to see first thing when I come into my kitchen in the mornings.

I have about 8 or 9 that I have designated to grow for Athens DAVS Convention and for AVSA in Raleigh. I'm proceeding onward in anticipation of being at both of those (pending some medical reports that we are awaiting return of)

Thanks for asking and if you're able....it would be lovely to share some pictures.

Dora

• kenh2010
    14 years ago

Raven,

I've heard that chamomile tea helps with damping off disease too. You can poor it over flats of seedlings. I'm new to the forum and hope that suggestion doesn't stigmatize me as a lunatic forever. It's fun experimenting.

Ken

• raven_ladybug
    14 years ago

Dora,
    (swoons with delight) What a lovely picture you paint! It must be an amazing feeling to walk into your kitchen every morning.

Ken,
    Not crazy at all. I find it very interesting to hear what natural methods people have found useful. Do you know if the recommended strength was the same as a cup of tea?

• planthoarder
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi All,
    Irina thank U for that info, greatly appreciated!

Raven, Oh I am SO happy for u that Eve is going to bloom for you.Yes, she sounds like a tough ole girl for sure and for all your efforts she is going to reward u,thats WONDERFUL! I heard that squeel too but I didn't know it was u looking at those cute little pots,they must be adorable! I am so happy that I heard back from you,was thinking about you and your new stand and how everything worked out with the lighting and all!Had wondered also about how the new plants from Robs was doing also. I am happy to hear that the mini growing is also going well for you. I am trying them too but am finding they are a bit more needy but thats ok,hoping to master it soon!
    Dora, How wonderful for you to join in,I love it when others tell their stories of growing! I wish you well with the plants and hope you get all good news from the doctor!
    Oh it must be a lovely site in your kitchen! I would love to share pics but have not figured out how to do it on here! :(
    Hey Ken, Welcome,I am pretty new here too and nothing here said has sounded crazy at all! I love that and will probably try it! Thank U
    Hey you watchers come on join in,let us know how your garden is growing!
    Happy growing to all and lots of buds and bloom wishes to you all, Linda in NJ

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Regarding the chamomille tea......

I had to laugh when I read this...and my first thoughts were, "Is the tea for the plant or the grower?" LOL
    ...because it could induce calm and relaxation and loss of any anxiety over fungus, mold, pest, etc.

and I won't even mention what the tea might could do for the grower *if* it were doctored a bit with some other kind of chemical of the alcoholic kind.
    Dora

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida