Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul__gw

6 months after the "Whackage"

paul_
10 years ago

Okay perhaps a tad over 6 months but I was too lazy to take a pic early this new year.

So for those who had not tuned in back in June when I whacked my Blue Twinkle down from this

{{gwi:358964}}

to this

{{gwi:358965}}

The question was voiced as to how long it would take to fill in again. At that time I guess-timated around 6 months. So here is that Blue Twinkle in its current state:

{{gwi:68348}}

So all in all, I'd say I guessed fairly well. And for those who might be curious ... its been blooming non-stop since early October.

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

I love your terrariums!

Linda

• Karin
    10 years ago

I always find it amazing what these plants will survive!
    But in your case, I think the plant's saying "in your face **********!" :-p

• becky15349
    10 years ago

It looks so much healthier!! I like the terrarium too, any critters in there? Would love to see more pics :)

• paul_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Becky, the only "critter" is my Varanus plasticus.

{{gwi:358966}}

Providing for the needs of an animal as well as for the needs of the plants, generally takes the difficulty of both design and maintenance to a whole other level.

As a side note for any who might be interested in such things, enclosures including non-aquatic animals are termed "vivariums". Vivariums which include both land and water elements -- such as a mini pond -- are termed "paludariums".

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I'd love to see a picture of the terrarium from the outside.

• Karin
    10 years ago

You know what you're doing here, right?
    Not enough that I have 1 1/2 shelves full of AV's now, but next time I see a fish tank or terrarium at a garage sale, I won't be able to help myself.... :-p

The only reason I don't have geckos or frogs, is because I am not going to raise/bring in live bugs to feed them...

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Zackey,

Paul posted two outside pictures not too long ago. Maybe you can hunt them up. Use key word 'whackage'.

Linda

• zzackey
    10 years ago

Thanks!

• aegis1000
    10 years ago

Nice presentation of how violets might look ... in the wild.

• paul_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

â¢Posted by froeschli 6b

You know what you're doing here, right?
    Not enough that I have 1 1/2 shelves full of AV's now, but next time I see a fish tank or terrarium at a garage sale, I won't be able to help myself.... :-p

Just doing my civic duty of broadening people's horizons.

â¢Posted by froeschli 6b

The only reason I don't have geckos or frogs, is because I am not going to raise/bring in live bugs to feed them...

That's the beauty of my Varanus plasticus ... I don't have to worry about any of that.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Lots of fish tanks at Goodwill and they're 1/2 off on Saturdays.

Linda
    ...making it worse for Karin... ;)

• zzackey
    10 years ago

LOL! Salvation Army is half on on Weds. here. I have a fish tank already that someone gave me. I just have no room in the house for it. I'll keep looking for a small terrarium instead.

• Karin
    10 years ago

Hahahaha, do you actually think I'd put myself in the way of temptation? :-p

Have a trip to VV planned sometime though, love their knick-knack-section, and with looking for other inventive wicking-solutions, that might just be the ticket....

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Karin,

I think that now you've got your violets on track, you'll be looking for a new challenge...

Linda

• Karin
    10 years ago

challenge: how to fit more plants in existing growing space...
    solution: get a terr and stack plants on top of it!

i was thinking of getting a terr for when i get my hands on some petrocosmea leaves - besides, i have a fern that is dwindling...
    now there's a handy excuse! :-)

• paul_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Zachey, just bite the bullet and make space for the tank. Smaller terrs are often, IME, more work in the long run and far more limiting in what you can create.

Karin, be forewarned -- in terr conditions ferns very quickly become thugs that will take over the entire tank, muscling out all the other plants. Keeping the fern in a pot and planting it pot and all in the terr can help restrain it for time but only for a time. They will escape and try to stage a coup. The fact that they can and will send rhizomes from one end of the tank to the other makes controlling them more challenging. (And if the fern forms spores you will REALLY find them everywhere.) You will need to go in an prune it back aggressively on a regular basis.

That said, they can be beautiful in terrs.