Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ima_digger

Need help with ID- White Madona

ima_digger
12 years ago

I received a starter of White Madona in the fall RR. I was third in the list. Debbya was the starter, sueirish was second then I was next. I guess one of you put this in the box. is it possible it was mis-labled? The description for White Madona says it's supposed to have 'girl' leaves. Here's a picture of the one I received. It is now blooming. I love it. It has regular leaves and is a standard.

{{gwi:359005}}

Comments (9)

• User
    12 years ago

I'm sure that must have been from me (aka Sneirish). I had several plantlets that I grew from leaves that I had gotten a few months earlier and the leaves were labelled 'White Madonna.' I have several plants growing myself, but none have buds yet. I have noticed that none of them seem to have girl foliage though. I can't see your pic but here is a pic of the two largest of mine right now. They don't seem to grow very fast.
    {{gwi:359006}}From African Violets-2

• ima_digger
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's my 'White Madona'

• ima_digger
    Original Author
    12 years ago

For some reason, I cant post picture. Here's the direct link to it.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u127/imahoyaholic/Gesneriasds/African%20Violets/WhiteMadona3-1.jpg

• ima_digger
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm trying again to post this picture.

• ima_digger
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Could someone please tell me how to post a pic here.
    thanks

• Christine
    12 years ago

Try clicking on the HTML code in Photobucket, which will automatically copy it. Then, paste the code into the Message Section of the posting you are composing. You can check to see that the picture will show by clicking on the Preview Message button below the Message and Links sections.

Your plant's pretty. There are two White Madonnas. Maybe you have the Baker one.

White Madonna (Baker) White star. Dark green. Standard
    White Madonna (670) 05/14/1953 (Eyerdom) Double white. Girl foliage. Standard

• ima_digger
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info. ===
    OK--I'm trying again. My flowers are double, not star shape, but leaves are plain. It doesn't match either description. Can the leaves of violets sport from girl to regular shape leves?

• irina_co
    12 years ago

I found a pic of an exceptionally well grown "White Madonna" - at Steve Reed's site.

I would say that in 1953 people probably were killing one another to get White! Girl Foliage!! Double!!!! WOW!!!! plant. Now it probably would never even be registered - the stems are very weak and in IMHO it is not that attractive of a plant. But in its own time it was a break through and probably was used in hybridization many times contributing to the many masterpieces of later days. And for a girl foliage - it grows pretty symmetrically.

On the other side - looking at the photo - really good grower will take any plant and grow it to perfection...

Looking at your cute white one...if it is really a sport -they probably can sport into anything - I am thinking it will make a perfect gift to somebody who is not obsessed with names.

Good Luck and thank you for the pleasure of seeing happy plants.

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:359004}}

• User
    12 years ago

Glad you got the pic posted. I would say from looking at yours and at mine (not yet bloomed) that it is probably not 'White Madonna.' I know the flowers can sport anytime, but I didn't think that the leaves could. Or at least that's what I have been told. It is a nice little plant, but I think sadly it will have to be a noid.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES