Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dixiebug

Using Predatory Mites for Broad, Cyclamen, Thrips and Mealybugs

dixiebug
9 years ago

I have been researching the use of predatory mites to prevent/control unwanted destructive bugs on my AVs. I spoke with a very knowledgeable guy who works for a garden company (can I mention the name?) who sells them.

I am considering purchasing two types of predatory mites. Hyposasis scimitus: controls fungus gnats, soil stage thrips, root mealybugs and springtails. Amblyseius cucumeris: controls cyclamen and broad mites, and thrips on the blossom. In addition one of these mites will survive for a period of time on pollen and mold and the other on algae if there are no prey for them to eat. After speaking with the man about them, it sounds like a very good once or twice a year preventative. An insurance against thrips, mealybugs, broad mites and cyclamen mites. There are other predatory mites available that control other pests, for example Amblyseius fallacis will control spider mites. This is the third one that the man recommended as a precaution. There is also one that will kill fleas in your yard! This is important to me because I have a dog rescue (Tiny Dog Rescue) and I can't use pesticides for this reason.

Has anyone else had any experience with predatory mites?

Dixie

Comments (7)

• Karin
    9 years ago

What I've heard about predator mites is that they will never fully exterminate the pest...
    Having said that, i am pretty sure I got predator mites with some of my store bought violets, and I haven't seen any other bugs, so I guess they do work...

Karin

• dixiebug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think they probably die off pretty easily, unless they have constant food. That would not be the case with most of our violets. For me its a matter of security. I just got started in AVs again after many years, so I have brought plants in from two different eBay vendors. I do have a few plants that look funky, but I can't see anything with my 40x loupe magnifier. I think it is cultural, mostly the potting mix I was using is to blame I believe. I now have my potting mix down and also my water techniques down. I just want to eliminate the potential of any nasties plaguing my plants.

• Danielle Rose
    9 years ago

A coworker released 100 ladybugs all over her many many plants here in the office. Though she still struggles to eradicate pests completely, the plants that benefited most from this experiment was her three giant AVs. They were riddled with these little white things ... as in, completely coated with them, and a year later, they've recovered 100%. All green and flowering again. I would never have believed they'd bounce back if I didn't see it with my own eyes.

(And yes, a year later, we still find ladybugs here and there.)

• dixiebug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Danielle, were they regular ladybugs or a different than we usually see? There is a type of ladybug that you can get from this same place, I can't remember now what they eat.

• paul_
    9 years ago

Keep in mind (assuming you plan on releasing them indoors) that:
    *They will wind up everywhere in your home, as opposed to staying right on the plants.
    *Your indoor conditions may prove detrimental to the mites. (For example, one of the main reasons spidermites are such an issue indoors for many people, is that those organisms which prey upon them -- including other mite species -- typically cannot survive for long in the arid environment commonly found indoors.) Should this be the case, then purchasing the predatory mites, may prove a waste of $.

• shallons
    9 years ago

I don't have experience with predatory bugs on my indoor plants, but we did use them in our yard for an incredible flea infestation. We moved into a house in late winter (February) and by April we couldn't walk outside without our feet and lower legs being speckled generously with fleas - it was icky on a level all it's own. We had pets and I was in the practice of systemically spot treating them, so I know they were not the source of the pestilence. I got some dry mix from the pet store "Beneficial Nematodes" which was mixed with water from the garden hose and sprayed around on the ground. It was like a miracle - within weeks, we had no more fleas at all. None. We lived in that place for ten years and never again had a problem. I even stopped treating my pets because we didn't have fleas in the yard - it was great!

• dixiebug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's what the guy whom I spoke with said. The ones that kills the fleas are very effective.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County