Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trilliumfae

Never had an AV before - newbie question!

trilliumfae
9 years ago

I've been gifted an african violet this afternoon (no idea the variety as I barely know a thing about these lovelies at all and it came with no marker). The person I got it from just thought it pretty so didn't know much about it either. I knew from vague memory alone that AVs had rather special requirements to their care, so now that I have one under my roof, I'm digging deep into the internet "how-tos" to fill in all the spacious gaps of knowledge I have on AV's. Yikes! I've a lot of cramming to do tonight, I see! lol

I'm reading about finicky watering methods, temperatures, lighting - it seems any little thing can cause drooping or leaf spots. I believe this little flower will be the prima dona of my house plants. :)

Where I'm confused (primarily - ha!) is on the subject of humidity. I'm reading they love a humid environment. Between 50-60%. I've read that anything less than that inhibits the opening of new blooms. It's the chill of winter here with forced hot water heating so I already have humidifiers running almost 24/7 and I still don't get up that high. 45% tops if I keep up with the water. One website recommended a light mist with a spray bottle daily. But of all the major "no-nos" I've read on the how-to sites, the biggest one I've read says never get the leaves wet. See my confusion here?

I thought perhaps I could sit the plant in a saucer of water to water it and give it humidity, but I've read not to let the pot sit in water for more than 30 minutes a day.

I haven't even begun to read about physical care - like pruning or deadheading (if they even need that?) It's gonna be a long night! :)

Comments (27)

• aegis1000
    9 years ago

Your plant looks gorgeous.

You're already running humidifiers.

Given that, I wouldn't worry about humidity. I never have ...

• Karin
    9 years ago

Hello!
    Firstly, don't fret, despite what you have read, African violets are actually rather hard to kill.
    Probably the two worst things for them are being cold and/or waterlogged.
    If you are diligent about watering (they can't tell if the water comes from above or below ;-) ), just keep the soil moist, not wet, and keep it at a temperature that feels comfortable for you, in a bright spot but not direct sunlight, you are good to go.
    Then, leave the plant where it is whilst you read up on all the cool stuff ;-)

Karin

• trilliumfae
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Aegis and Karin!

Continuing my reading, I'm getting one of those "Oh what am I going to get myself into now?" mindsets. All the different varieties sure look tempting to try a hand at one day down the line, especially tiny ones - **once I get my bearings of course**. :)

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Believe me African violets are easy! My mom had about 100 of them in north windows in northern Pa for years. She never misted them, never used a humidifier and only top watered. They were so beautiful. I started growing them a few years ago in a cold north window. It gets down to 60 degrees in my house at night. I have one I repotted in bloom now and 3 cuttings have babies sprouting up.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Believe me African violets are easy! My mom had about 100 of them in north windows in northern Pa for years. She never misted them, never used a humidifier and only top watered. They were so beautiful. I started growing them a few years ago in a cold north window. It gets down to 60 degrees in my house at night. I have one I repotted in bloom now and 3 cuttings have babies sprouting up.

• Karin
    9 years ago

Watch out, or your place will end up looking like this...

;-)

• marty-1
    9 years ago

To seal the deal in making you a violet hobbyist propagate the plant. Remove two expendable leaves that doesn't ruin symmetry,cut end at an angle, and stick 1/2" into 50%african Violet soul/50% perlite and place in plastic bag without overwatering((forgive me folks, the quick version).
    welcome new grower , marty

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

welcome. mine like it in the bathroom. gets plenty of light from skylight and does well with the humidity from the shower.

• Bluegrassmom
    9 years ago

I am a newbie to AV too. I have been gifted with a pot that looks like it needs to be divided. Do you just cut thru them? I guess it is best to use AV potting soil?

Thanks

• aegis1000
    9 years ago

Hi Bluegrassmom,

You can cut through multiple crowns on your plant.

You can find information on this process at the following links ...

http://www.gardeningoncloud9.com/200907/african-violet-care-separate-crowns/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCKa8H9WmVE

It's best to use African Violet potting soil MIXED WITH PEARLITE to lighten it. You should be able to get the PEARLITE at the same place as the AV soil.

I use half potting soil and half PEARLITE.

Here is a link that might be useful: Video for separating crowns

• trilliumfae
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I couldn't reach my computer for a few days - so sorry this was late!

Wow Froe! That's impressive. Luckily I don't have the space to be that obsessed.... but with me, perceived necessity breeds invention down the line usually. lol I can hear my little AV laughing in an evil villain manner as it daydreams of house domination.

Marty - I've been tempted to try that! But it sure does sound like a slippery slope into Froe's sort of set up. ;)

Thanks for all the support. So far, my AV is still alive and hasn't fainted from lack of proper care (or, being a prima donna sort of plant, 'the vapors'. hehe)

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Fae, welcome. It is actually membership on this forum that gets you hooked. Karin (Froe) was once an innocent owner of a solitary AV before she began hanging with the enablers. Now, she has 200's. Many of the rest of us seem to have lost the ability to count and hide them under the bed or in the attic when company comes. Some chant the mantra, "I can quit anytime I want. (I just don't want to.) Joanne

• Karin
    9 years ago

Aye, Joanne, wait till the next 3!?! Seed pods ripen ;-)
    Enablers indeed, now I even joined a club and am considering plants for show...

Karin

• partybra
    9 years ago

Fae- I think that your plant appears to to a Saintpaulia{{gwi:807}} ionantha cultivar, as it has strong species characteristics- I don't know how to identify it any further, but I hope that someone else can. I think that the cultural requirements are about the same for all of the African Violets, although some plants may be a bit more resilient than others, depending upon how fancy they are. I got my first African Violet about two weeks ago, and it is doing well, thanks to all of the excellent advice that I have received here on the AV Forum. I am thankful for this opportunity to interact with, and receive advice and support from other AV aficionados. I hope that your plant does well.

This post was edited by partybra on Tue, Jan 6, 15 at 14:54

• Danielle Rose
    9 years ago

I think I've also been bitten by the AV bug. Due to lots of window space and light, I've been able to fill my work area with lots of succulents and a handful of orchids. A coworker down the hall has three AVs. I heard you could grow them from a leaf, just like succulents, so I pulled one when she wasn't looking to give it a try. WELL ... that leaf sprouted five babies! I separated them a few month ago; two are growing like gangbusters, and three have been much slower to put on size and leaves. No flowers yet, so I'm not sure if it's anything fancy, but she has since let me have a leaf off of her other one: it has darker green leaves with purple flowers ... the leaf has already sprouted two babies.

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

That is hilarious, Danielle! Did she catch you or did you 'fess up ?

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Karin, your journey thru AV land has been great fun to track!

• Danielle Rose
    9 years ago

Well, I had to 'fess up on the first one in order to ask for one from the other plant ... she wasn't upset (I take care of her plants when she's away from the office, so she gives me some leeway, hahaha!).

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Kinda what I thought! Glad your leaf worked out. One soon learns when to ask! Friend of mine asked for a leaf from a plant that was huge and won a prize. The owner looked at her as if she had requested something much more than a leaf! Around the office, people usually eagerly share.

• Karin
    9 years ago

Ah, the way to approach that is to mention how GORGEOUS the plant in question is, and wonder aloud where one might get a leaf of the same variety, because it would be such a shame to destroy the perfectly delicious symmetry of such a specimen.... ;-p

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Yes, for sure, that is the best way!

• Danielle Rose
    9 years ago

Duly noted for next time! :)

I share cuttings, leaves, and babies from my succulents all the time, given the prodigious nature of those kinds of plants. However, I'm not sure how I'd react if I had a prize-winner and someone wanted a leaf. It seems ... overstepping.

But I should state for the record that I typically don't scavenge for leaves or try to snatch bits of plants in garden centers or anything. Her plants, which I mentioned in another post about critters, have only recently recovered from some sort of infestation, and while all green and fuzzy again, they're certainly a bit battle-raggedy. Neither pinched leaf left any noticeable dent.

• Karin
    9 years ago

Well, I've got to admit, i am working hard to find people to take some of my spares, but when someone asked if i had another one because they killed the last, meh, not so keen...

You tell me you like my plant - i offer to give you a spare/sucker/leaf.
    you ask for a cutting - i find an excuse, unless you have one i want, or at least offer a trade...

I enjoy sharing, but don't like being asked to do so... is that weird?

Karin

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Danielle, it is no big deal ! Office plants are practically communal property.
    People love to share.
    But do be wary of taking home anything from a diseased plant.
    Joanne

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Karin, I know what you mean. It is a subtle thing. That is one reason I now prefer to start plants from leaves to donate rather than removing and giving leaves. I am also picky about who they go to as it can take a year to produce a small plant.
    At shows, some people dismantle their winning plants and sell the leaves. Probably, a commercial grower gives away leaves because they have duplicates.
    Others save their winners and present them another time.
    BTW, your dish garden is delightful. It has a natural quality to it. J

• User
    9 years ago

Karin - i am intrigued by the first picture you posted... of your shelves of violets. is that bags i see hanging? what do you use those for? sorry - just curious

:)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville