Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauraeli_

Uh oh, this is no good

lauraeli_
9 years ago

Is there a fungus among us?

Because something is up. A peace lily in the room has been showing similar symptoms. So Im afraid whatever it is, is airborne. Help!

Comments (9)

• Karin
    9 years ago

I get similar symptoms when I water "inconsistently"...

Karin

• lauraeli_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There are three leaves showing symptoms, and part of the area around the dead part appears 'water-soaked'.

This one does get watered consistently. I check it a minimum of every other day.

• sueok_gw
    9 years ago

How does this look by now? I don't really have an idea if it's a fungus or not. You may need to email one of the pros. ;)

Sue

• lauraeli_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I removed all the bad leaves after taking that pic. A few days later, another leaf showed up that was even worse. I removed that one as well. Nothing yet on the other leaves. I think it starts on the bottom of the leaf and then shows through that top. But I could be wrong.

It is definitely something. But hopefully the plant can recover by itself, since I cant treat it right now. I have separated it from the other plants.

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

looks like overwatering or inconsistent watering. Another possibility is that a drop(s) has just sat on the particular leaf and caused the rot. If you know to water at the base rather that on top of plant, you can certainly eliminate this possibility. This is not fatal if you correct your watering routine. My indoor plants require much less watering in winter, including the water thirsty tropicals and even with heaters running. This would certainly apply to AVs.

• lauraeli_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I dont water on a schedule. I water when the soil dries. None of my other AVs have this problem.

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Water changes such as chloramine from tap water? Chloramine won't affect all plants the same. You would have to share more about the care provided, otherwise, any response is going to be pure speculation.

• lauraeli_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Plant is grown in MG, and terracotta. Watered consistently with either distilled or spring water. Dilute african violet fertilizer added to 3/4 waterings, the 'every time you water' dilution. Grown in a north window under a grow light. Fan on in room 24/7. Periodically has trouble with powdery mildew. Humidity stays between 45% and 60%. Thermostat set at 68. Temperature variances due to both cold windowpane and electric heat register below the window (not forced air), which the fan circulates. NOT on windowsill. Plants on windowsill are unaffected and healthy.

This post was edited by Lauraeli on Thu, Jan 8, 15 at 1:30

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Hi, Sounds like you are doing everything right. Perhaps with this information, one of the "experts" who might still be reading the forum will see this and be able to advise.
    (Some of the experts who used to post regularly seem to have retired from the forum.)
    I would not know what is causing this. It could be that
    particular plant is on the wane. Sometimes, that happens, for no obvious reason. If it is a plant you like, you might
    want to take a healthy leaf to restart it before the entire plant is gone.
    Best of luck, Joanne