Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing african violets care

Posted by hollysoasis NJzone 6/7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 20:30

I want to grow african violets like my grandmother did. I have the perfect place, in front of the window over the heat registers, on a long table. I purchased, a few at home depot and also bought african violet soil and a very light potting mix. All I remember about their care was, not to wet the leaves and she always added a drop of dish soap to the water, Can someone recomend a website for the care and planting of african violets?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing african violets care

1. Here. (Check the FAQ and use the search tool for specific topics)
2. Rachel's Reflections
3. Your favourite search engine
4. Your local library

And if you are a social kind of person, visit the next meeting of your local African violet society.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rachel's reflections

o
RE: growing african violets care

People before made their own soil instead of using the HD bagged one. I am not promoting using backyard loam, cow manure, sand and all other secret components of this old day soil - but it was much better for the plants then the stuff from HD. So - do not use it straight - add 1/3 of perlite. This soil is preloaded with fertilizer- so do not use any fertilizer for 2 months. It has the wetting agent already in a mix - so do not add dish soap - otherwise your soil will be way too wet.
Do not buy these heavy double ceramic pots - they are tricky. The regular plastic pots are better - and you can use mugs, cashepots to cover your plastic pots.

You can wet your plants - you can even bath your plants under lukewarm water and leach the soil - but you need to let them dry and blot most of the water with paper towel - before returning back to the window. otherwise the leaves go spotted - that's what your Grandmother prevented by not wetting the leaves - ugly spots.

After couple of month your AVs will utilize all the fertilizer - you need to get some for your plants - otherwise they won't bloom.

The main cause of AV death - is overwatering or inconsistent watering. Drought to drown is fatal. So - make sure that they never sit in the water in their saucers - splash the leftovers out 10-20 min after watering - and make sure that you know when to water them - lift them up - and if the pot is light - it is time. After some time - you will figure ot how often - may be every five days in summer - and 7 days in winter.

Just as Mz F said - read the books, work through the website - find the club or people who grow well in your town.

And in no time - it is not a rocket science - you will be growing AVs - your Grandmother would be proud to have.

Good Luck
irina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here