Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Q for any of you hybridizers......

Posted by paul_ z4/5 MI (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 30, 08 at 20:33

Well I am very familiar w/ the complexity involved in trying to determine what traits offspring will have. Simple dominance/recessiveness such as Mendel discovered in his pea experiments is often more the exception than the rule. A trait commonly has multiple genes which interact to determine how the trait will be expressed. However sometimes there are "trends" that seem to be followed. For example, w/ cattleya orchids, the color lavender seems to often be dominant -- even over other darker colors. So I'm curious what, if any trends may exist for AVs? For example:

Size-wise, if a mini is crossed with a standard, does the standard tend to dominate?

Color-wise, does dark flower color tend to dominate over a pale one?

Is there a particular color that tends to dominate over most others?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Q for any of you hybridizers......

We're learning a bit of hybridizing stuff in another A/V forum I'm on... One of our mods, Jana posted "Dominant & Recessive Traits by Dr. J Smith" Check it out
(You'll have to join the forum to see it, I think--but our forum is free to join and a lotta fun!)

o

Paul,

You can also post your question on the African violet forum here on Garden Web.

There is usually someone knowledgeable, and it's free to look at and lurk.

o
RE: more: Q for any of you hybridizers......

Disregard that, I thought I was on the Maine forum.

Barbra

o

If you google jeff smith african violets, you'll come up with a number of links to AV genetic traits. I've linked a good one here. Dr. Jeff Smith writes an article for the AVSA magazine in reference to hybridizing AV's and talks about the genetics.

Hope this helps,
Elaine

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeff Smith Link

o

• Posted by paul_ z4/5 MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 31, 08 at 11:07

Thanks folks! Checked out the "Jeff Smith" link -- that was very cool! Just the type of stuff I was looking for. Some of the traits that turned out to be dominant or recessive rather suprised me -- I guess because of the only AV's I usually see. [For instance I don't commonly see the "Fantasy" types & so would have assumed that trait to be recessive]

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here