Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Picture of AVs

Posted by cowgurl160 4 SD (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 7, 13 at 20:44

I just wanted to share a picture of my AVs. Unfortunately nothing is blooming, I think my apt is too cold or they aren't getting enough light. I get several buds but nothing blooms. I know the front one is WAY over potted, this spring I'm going to look for a smaller pot. But that plant is my survivor, I've brought it back from the brink of death twice. And instead of using the self watering pots as they are intended I want to repot the 2 in those pots in plastic draining pots and then just set them in the outer pot. And I realize the middle plant is over potted too. That plant is the first survivor that I took off of another plant. Most of the other ones I tried at the same time all died. I am currently trying to start 2 suckers and 1 leaf. Hopefully I can make those work because I would like to order some variegated varieties this spring/summer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Picture of AVs

I think you are correct - not enough light and probably not warm enough. Can you put some light fixture above your plants?

Your Avs are not happy customers right now - and variegated plants are less viable than green leaved ones. Probably you need to upgrade your growing area a bit before spending money on variegated ones - when the green ones struggle - these guys die.

Plus - you need blooming AVs in winter much more than in summer. Keeps the spirits up!

I.

Here is a link that might be useful: light for the small area.

o

It looks like you have a nice collection there, and that you know how to grow AV’s.

For your plants to do as well as possible, however, you will need to provide adequate
light (for blooming and plant health).

You can provide artificial lighting for your violet collection using the new fluorescent
CFL (spiral) bulbs in any typical house lamp where the violets are not more than a foot
or so from the light.

o

What size of CFL bulb would a person need. I just bought two african violets from a florist and they look like they didn't provide enough light. My lamp that I intend on using is a short lamp. The base of the light bulb to the stand is about 14".
Thank you

o

Winnatay-

I do not think you can have lots of options - whatever CFL is more than 100wt equivalent (27-30wt actual consumption) - they are quite large and your plants won't fit. So- get the one I mentioned. It is a bit on a low side - so if your growing area will get at least some natural light from the window or skylight - it will be OK.

Good Luck

Irina

o

Irina,
Thank you for replying. I will see about that CLF bulb. I will take a picture of my violets to show them and maybe get some answers to my other questions.

o

W. - just start a new thread.

I.

o

This is one of my favorite African Violet photos. The purple is so deep in color and the contrast of the light and shadows makes the rich leave texture very apparent.

o

That is why I started growing them.

o

Absolutely beautiful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here