Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My violets..... (new to the forum)

Posted by tweetypye z8/sc AL (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 08 at 21:15

Hi folks,
I lurk around here alot, admiring all of your AV's but I haven't posted before. :) I've been growing AV's for years, most of which are rescued and all of which are noids to me. If they had names, I never knew them. Anyway, I love to grow AV's because they give me a way to garden in the winter when I can't be outside in my daylily garden. They are rarely without blooms during the winter and I only grow them on window sills. I have 12 right now, only 1 of which is a mini. I have a south facing bay window where most of them reside and a north facing kitchen window where 4 of them live. Here's a photo of my mini, and I'll add a link to my photo bucket if ya'll would care to see my others. All of these photos were taken either today or a couple of days ago. Hope you enjoy looking.
Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: More of my violets.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My violets..... (new to the forum)

HI Jan,a
A beautiful miniature. Don't worry about the name unless you are going to show any of them. And even then you could name it yourself. Not exactly the best idea but it's done all the time.
Fred in NJ

o

Thanks Fred, and I don't care about the names, I just tell them how pretty they are and they bloom and bloom for me! :) My sister says that's why they grow so well for me, cause I talk to them...you think? LOL
Jan

o

Welcome! Your violets are very beautiful, you are doing a good job with them. Names are just a way to talk about violets so we know what they look like when someone says a name or someone sees a picture and wants that plant too. Then there is the baby plant aquisitions that you don't want to take something you may already have. I never used names for years, those tags just got lost. But now that I joined a club and trade, I keep closer tabs on them. I have several unnamed because the label got lost when repotting. So I give them a number and write in a book what the bloom looks like.

o

That violet is just gorgeous, welcome!!!

o

Thank you both, I found a mini that looks exactly like mine at Optimara. It's name was Little Hopi Girl from their Little Indian series. I haven't a clue if mine is the same, but it sure looks like it.
I enjoy my violets, especially during the winter months when I can't be gardening outside.
Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: Little Hopi Girl

o

Welcome to group Jan! I, Like you also love my av's during winter as I am an avid outdoor gardener also! Your av's all look very healthy and lovely! Thanks for sharing all your photos with us! Golden

o

Hi Jan, and welcome! Good grief, your plants are gorgeous. I'm seething with jealousy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here