Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frankielynnsie

Mini Violets with no ID

frankielynnsie
9 years ago

I bought some mini violets on 2 visits to Florida and am wondering how to find out what their names are. Can someone ID them. Why don't they put names on them in the nursery???

3 of them have more than 1 plant in them. Is it safe to take them out of the pot and separate the babies out of the pot and pot them in box store African violet soil? This is a new endeavor for me and I am hoping I can keep them alive on my kitchen window sill.

I have looked at all of the Optimara violets and none of those match. The goldish/brown leafed one's flower is pink-it is just starting to open. I love the different colored leaves. It makes them pretty even when not in bloom.

Comments (19)

• Karin
    9 years ago

Someone on Facebook just IDd a bunch of violets from a Florida nursery. I believe it was on the african violet nerds group....

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Looks like you got some stunning violets. The three variegated ones look like they have single crowns
    and can remain as they are. Most likely, they are NOT Optimaras. The two on the top row, right and left, might be trailing violets, which is common with minis. If so, they will form multiple crowns. They do not have to be separated until they have more than three crowns. Even then, it is up to you. It is difficult to see the growth pattern of the one in the lower left hand corner. I suggest you leave all of them alone in the pots they came in for a few weeks or months. Usually, they arrive in the right size pot that will be good for about 2-3 months, sometimes longer.
    Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Sat, Jan 31, 15 at 22:14

• frankielynnsie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have been reading and looking at a lot of pictures and think the 2 bunchy ones are trailing violets.

The mostly white leaves with green tips plant is the one with a little baby beside it and I have watched you tube videos about removing suckers but I am a little afraid to cut it out. Can I take the tip of a knife and dig it in like a shovel and pop it out, then put in soil to try and root it?

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    9 years ago

Actually, the tip of a sharp pencil is enough to pop a sucker off most times. Yes, then you put it in a very small container of light, moist potting mix and bag it. It should root - the only problem with this plant you are talking about is that there is so little green on it, especially in the smallest leaves. If there is no green in the leaves of the sucker, they may not have enough chlorophyll to survive. Maybe you could give it a bit of fish emulsion first in an effort to green it up as much as possible before you separate it? And perhaps someone here with more experience with these white variegates can suggest what else to do to ensure better success.
    You surely did score some lovely plants!

This post was edited by annececilia on Wed, Jan 28, 15 at 6:35

• Brunilda
    9 years ago

Where in Florida did you get these? Im in Florida and have a nursery that carries Harmony AVs and they label their with IDs except for their semis & minis . The bottom center AV looks like Robs Argyles Socks.
    Brunilda

• paul_
    9 years ago

If the sucker has no green, it will not survive separated from the mother plant.

Some interesting plants ya picked up there. :)

• frankielynnsie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think that it is Rob's Argile socks too. I am waiting for the bloom to open but it looks pale lilac so far. I got them in Gainesville at the Garden Gate Nursery. I have 2 trailing and no clue to the 2 variegated. The mostly white one gets green on the leaves from the tip inward as it gets older.

Should I let the sucker get older with some green on the leaves before separating? I don't want to kill it.

I am now addicted and have been looking online for some new babies. Today I saw some baby plastic solo cups(shot glasses) and had to by a pack for future leaf rooting.

• Brunilda
    9 years ago

You can try to green up the plant a little by adding Epson salt. I tsp per gallon of water and then once the sucker has greened up a little you can remove. I personally would wait until it gets bigger.

Once the plants bloom, it's easier to ID them. It's easy to get hooked as there are so many different types with so many colors! You have a nice start !

• quimoi
    9 years ago

Send that lower right one here, I'll work on the id ;) That is nice. I like Rob's Argyle Socks. You did get some nice ones there.

It's hard to say but that could be Pixie Blue top left - do the blossoms stand up?

Diana

• frankielynnsie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, after many hours of searching and getting sidetracked by things I would like to have... I think I have Pixie Blue (Right top row)and Pixie Pink (Left top row), Rob's argyle socks, (center bottom row) and Rob's combustible pigeon (center top row)(what a name).

The bottom Left is red on the underside of the leaves but there are too many that look similar. And I can't find anything that has leaves like the bottom Right corner.

I really need a Toronto Belle. The leaves alone are so beautiful.

• Brunilda
    9 years ago

Taking a closer look...The plant in the lower right looks like Biscayne Trail....

• frankielynnsie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The leaves are the right shape and the flowers are very similar. Will the yellow center of the leaves become more white?

• quimoi
    9 years ago

I think white/yellow can depend a lot on light. Any variegation may vary quite a bit. I don't think I've seen Biscayne Trail, but if that's it, I like it.

I have tiny Pixie Pinks and hope they make it. Ralph Robinson (Rob) does have some unusual names, i.e. Rob's Suicidal Squirrel.

I'm not sure but I think I read about issues with Combustible Pigeon becoming too white and yours looks like you need to watch it.

After looking closely at your first one, I don't think the leaves are correct for Pixie Pink. They remind me of some of the leaves on some of the mini Optimaras although they didn't have single pink blossoms. Pixie Blue holds its pansy blossoms up high on the stems.

Diana

This post was edited by quimoi on Wed, Feb 4, 15 at 21:20

• terrilou
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of a young Biscayne Trail. Mine does not show as much yellow. Also have a picture of a large one in bloom if I can find it.

Terri

• quimoi
    9 years ago

Biscayne Trail isn't in FC2. Where did you find this one? (A good many trailers aren't in FC2.)

Do you have a description for it? Of course I have way more trailers than I can keep now anyway :)

Diana

• terrilou
    9 years ago

Diana, I believe I bought leaves from Cedar Creek Violets a few years back. They are no longer in business. What I remember from the description is standard trailer with variegated girl foliage. I don't recall if the blue flowers were listed as single or semi-double. Maybe both.

I found the picture of my large plant & here it is in its un groomed condition between Bloomlovers Prince & Optimara Gauguin.

Terri

• quimoi
    9 years ago

I think Cedar Creek is Dave Rollins and is still selling on eBay. I have seen some girl leaved plants there and I got a couple of things there some years ago but my records show I discarded many leaves from them at that time. I was shocked when I reviewed the records.

I think I had 3 plants left but quit growing Navy Girl. Thanks for the info. It is a pretty one. I still grow Fantasy Girl which looks better than I do for its age although it doesn't make it to standard size. Considering all the problems with some of the fantasies, this one seems to be rock-solid.

I was just looking on eBay and there is another seller whose id I had once confused with theirs. Anyway, I looked at a list and I believe these are both theirs. They may not have anything up at present (I was not buying, just wasting time).

cedarcreekviolets: http://www.ebay.com/usr/cedarcreekviolets

cedarcreekhybrids: http://www.ebay.com/usr/cedarcreekhybrids

Diana

This post was edited by quimoi on Thu, Feb 5, 15 at 20:16

• frankielynnsie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Terri-If you look at the pink and blue pansy flowered trailers from the side, their flowers are on stalks the same size. So maybe it is Pixie Pink.

The mature Biscayne Trail is beautiful I hope the one I have will be healthy and big some day.

Diana-When you say you discarded leaves--what does that mean? They weren't viable enough to start plants from?

• quimoi
    9 years ago

I see I never answered this. What my records aid was "discarded, didn't look right" on record after record. That was the only vendor with notations like that. I think I had probably set them first. They must have looked sick. I dumped a couple of plants from that order too.

Diana