Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puchinita5

your favorite white african violets?

Puchinita5
9 years ago

Hello everyone!

I'm looking to purchase an african violet with white blooms. What are your favorite varieties?

Right now I have been looking at Mas Pillow Talk from violetbarn, but would love to hear your thoughts!

Comments (12)

• aegis1000
    9 years ago

I like Southern Sugar and Sansoucy Julie Marie.

Southern Sugar

{{gwi:2122422}}
    Sansoucy Julie Marie

Also, you might want to look at Cool Mint.

{{gwi:2122423}}
    Cool Mint

I've had some issues with growing Ma's varieties sucessfully, though I am currently trying Ma's Glass Slipper again.

{{gwi:2122424}}
    Ma's Glass Slipper

• terrilou
    9 years ago

If you haven't done so, check out the lovely picture of Gillian in the gallery. I've read that Ma's White Elephant is highly regarded by some. The only nice white I currently grow is Frosted Whisper.

Terri

• tabb
    9 years ago

I LOVE my Sansoucy 'Julie Marie'. It blooms the largest white flowers. They are larger than a silver dollar (almost 2"). They are also lofty since petals stand 1". They multiply easy & 1 leaf makes a clump of 3 or more sprouts when divided. I would suggest this variety for newcomers because it is prolific as well as beautiful.
    I should have some leaves & starts to trade for others when it warms a little in late March & April. Contact me with what varieties you have to trade.

• jujujojo_gw
    9 years ago

My Optimara last February.

{{gwi:371747}}

{{gwi:371748}}

The flowers are quite large. Don't you love the changing AVs?

{{gwi:371749}}

• tabb
    9 years ago

jujujojo, Your pictures are beautiful & white AV looks so healthy. Do you know which Optimara variety it is? My 'Julie Marie' looks exactly like the one posted by aegis500 and is blooming now.

• jujujojo_gw
    9 years ago

â¢Posted by tbbgardens 9 (My Page) on Sat, Jan 24, 15 at 21:22

Optimara Montana II winter bloom. The summer blooms have blue/purple on the petals.

• tabb
    9 years ago

Thanks for the I.D. jujujojo!

• Karin
    9 years ago

terri, ma's white elephant is absolutely gorgeous! the person i get most my violets from has one, and i keep telling her that i will buy it "one day" when i have space for it...

currently my favourite whites are alan's fallen angel (old pic below), milky way trail and snowy egret - yes, all trailers.
    optimara little crystal is a reliable white bloomer too. there's just something about it that makes me think "meh". Milky way trail doesn't have the most interesting foliage either, but at least it is vivid green.
    I've seen lovely plants of petite blarney, but it just won't do much for me...

Karin

• Puchinita5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks so much for all the input! i have so many options to think about!

• felixbenjamin41
    8 years ago

I am looking for a yellow violet

• felixbenjamin41
    8 years ago

How could you help me

• irina_co
    8 years ago

Miniature trailer 'Chantaspring'. 'Lemon Kisses', Ma's Ming Dynasty has a lot of yellow. Rught now there are new Ukranian and Russian standard hybrids with good yellow - but I do not have any experience with them. You can get them on eBay - but right now it is too cold to ship - so wait until April.

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer