Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
white spots on my violets

Posted by merrydancer (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 10, 10 at 22:43

I need help identifying little white spots on my violets. There are mostly on the leaves. They are just a little bigger than a mite .. about the size of a pinhead. I don't see any movement. I can see them without a magnifying glass. The are not perfectly round.. more oblong. don't look like mildrew. It is killing my violets.
Any ideas what it is pest or disease... and how to kill it?
Many thanks..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: white spots on my violets

My guess it's mealie bugs. Check the link below.
Do isolate the plant from your other plants and check the other plants for infestion. This may have spread farther than you know. They hide under leaves and in nooks and crannies as well as in full view on top of leaves.
Take a look at the link and see if it looks like the bugs your seeing and then we can help with treatment.
I haven't battled these yet on AV's but have on my Hoya's before.,,,Debbie

Here is a link that might be useful: Mealie picture

o

I would think it was mildew and a quick solution would be to pour a solution of 1 part milk, 9 parts hot water. Pour over leaves.

If it is foliar mealies, swipe them off with a Q-tip dipped in alcohol. If they become reddish when squeezed, it's foliar mealies.

Nancy

o

Hi,
If they are fuzzy and a little sticky when they are touched you do have foliar mealies. Nancy has told you the correct treatment, just be sure you check the plant often and thoroughly and separate it from the other plants.
Fred in NJ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here