Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmacsrus

Tiny holes/darkening and wilting of leaves, little silver bugs?

JMacsRUs
12 years ago

I've had this African Violet for about 4+ years now and it has been one of the strongest and healthiest plants I've owned. Within the past year it got a nasty infestation of what I deduced to be fungus gnats (due to the little pesky gnats I started seeing all over my house and these tiny little silvery bugs (very very tiny, not like silverfish or anything, just little moving spots) in the soil. I re-potted the plant and rinsed the roots to get rid of all the old soil but a month ago I noticed the bottom leaves were wilting and the stems turning mushy. When I would pull the stems off I saw these little silver bugs actually inside the stems. I kept pulling off the infected leaves and surprisingly have seen no more little bugs. However, the leaves are continuing to wilt and I've noticed on some that there are little white "burn mark" looking circles and what appear to be chew holes through the leaf as well (see pictures). But I cannot find any more bugs and not all the leaves that are wilting have these marks. Does anyone have any idea what could possibly be messing with my formerly unstoppable violet? Also I bought African Violet food recently hoping that might help. It never seemed to need it before, it was always so healthy. Please help, this plant was a gift and I really don't want it to die.

{{gwi:359195}}" />

{{gwi:359196}}" />

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH