Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leggy/tall AV?

Posted by whtros USDA z5a IL (whtros2@aol.com) on
Wed, Jan 30, 08 at 23:15

I visited my daughter at her office this week.
And found her poor little violet.
Please help me decide what to do with it.
Teena's Violet
I thot about pulling off the bottom leaves and planting it deeper. On the other hand, I wondered if I could cut off the top, pull off its bottom leaves and plant that instead. Then I'd have 2 AV's. That is, if they both survive. Or should I just give it a little fertilizer and plenty of light?. Or is there something else I should do instead? Thanx for your help, Barbara.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leggy/tall AV?

If it was my plant I would just let it grow but give it a lot more light so it would lie flatter and give it 1/4 teaspoon fertilizer in one gallon water. I would use this water at every feeding.

Do you know if this might be a trailer?

Nancy

o

Maybe it's a senk like celery! That's an interesting one!

minibot

o

"might be a trailer"
"senk like celery"
Don't think its anything special. Just "run-of-the-mill" stuff from Wal-Mart or Lowe's.
"give it a lot more light so it would lie flatter and give it 1/4 teaspoon fertilizer in one gallon water"
I guess I don't know how it could "lie flatter" when its already so tall? Will the leaves it has now continue to grow? Don't the new leaves come out of the top? Well, it will be interesting to see what it does at my house with regular fertilizer and more light.

Any more suggestions?
Thanx, Barbara.

o

Hi Barbara,
I would pull off some of the bottom leaves and sink it lower in a new pot with fresh soil. I more than likely would cut off a portion of the root ball.
Fred in NJ

o

Thanx, Fred, I am planning on doing that. But it will still be very tall. But, greedy soul that I am, I thot I might make 2 out of it. The top probably would survive but the bottom part would lose its growing point. Oh, well. It was a nice fantasy. (g) Barbara.

o

Barbara,
If you cut off the top and root it you may be able to get it to lie flat. Then the bottom part with it's roots will begin to sucker from the top and you can pot up all those suckers with your green fingernails.
Fred in NJ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here