Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
african violet

Posted by MaureenJames Maine (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 0:39

hi there, I have av, not knowing what to do with it,I have had it about a month and it's not doing anything,I have it sitting in my window,but I guess sunlight is too strong for it,I don't know to care for it,when to clip or to water it,how to get it to bloom etc,it's winter here in maine I do not know if that's a problem or not, I also have another plant I don't know what it is,it looks ok,but I think its some type of creeping vine plant, its looks ok,it just doesnt seem to be growing rapidly as I would expect,will post a picture of both, I also have a aloe,that a friend planted in dirt from outside ,wich I think was a big mistake,so I replanted it in some potting soil,hoping I didnt kill the poor thing..help i'm not a green thumb!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: african violet

For your African Violet, go to the African Violet Society of America's website and read about the culture. They are not difficult to grow if provided with a few basics.
Hope this helps!

Linda

o

They do slow down growth in winter, especially if your home is cooler. If it is in the window, I would think it is getting too cool in your area, especially at night. Direct sun can burn the leaves if it is too strong, should have a sheer curtain between the window and the plant. Mine are in the windows but I'm in Atlanta and its warmer here. Don't keep it too wet, they will rot, water when it starts to dry out. Fertilize occassionally. Only take off the leaves that don't look good, are getting old, discolored, droopy usually on the bottom of the plant. Checking out more info at avsa.org is a good idea.

o

Hi, I'm just visiting from the Houseplant & Cactus & Succulent Forum.

About the Aloe, potting soil is almost the worst thing you could use for it (it usually has peat in it, which hardens off over time, making it impossible for the plant to drink) . Pls. find Cactus & Succulent mix & add abt 40% perlite to it & pls. be sure the pot has a hole in it. Otherwise, you may expect problems. Then don't water it for a week or 2, or until you see new growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here