Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

Ok, took the plunge, converting to wick watering

quinnfyre
14 years ago

I finally did it. I've been trying to decide whether or not I want to convert my collection to wick watering, and after a winter of not being able to keep up with the watering, and seeing wilty, shrinking plants, I had enough. I got tired of fighting low humidity and the fan I have to keep running to minimize PM, and having to spend two or three hrs hand watering each plant... only to have to do it again in two days. I began the process of converting them all. I'm about half done, I think. I had about 6-10 wicked, and they've been doing much better than the non-wicked ones, so that was my deciding factor.

I did decide to go with individual reservoirs when possible. It just seemed easier to arrange, and safer in the long run. So, here's hoping for less stress, for them and for me, and actually being able to see some of these bloom!

Comments (7)

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

I remember what it was like when I went from individual wick to community wick on *most* of mine. If I absolutely couldn't bare to lose teh plant because of some mishap, then it stayed in individual. Everything else went to community.
    Now, I spend an hour loving on my plants instead of watering them :)
    I know it's a "To each his/her own" preference and I am careful about things that can spread.....but with everything that I have going on....this is sure working for me.
    Happy Growing!
    Dora

• snappyguy
    14 years ago

I've been thinking about wicking myself. Glad to hear it's working for you. Maybe I'll take the plunge.

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't have anything against community wicking, for the most part. In fact, I think it was seeing pics of your setup that got me interested in it. But my shelf space doesn't really accommodate that sort of setup, and it was easier to set it up individually right now. I'm growing other taller plants along with the AVs, and it gets a little tricky to organize everything in such a way that they all get good light, and no one is hidden. That last bit is an important part. When I get busy, the hidden ones suffer. I learned my lesson: don't pack in every available space. Give them room and more importantly, make em all visible : )

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I would give it a try with a couple, to see how you like it. They grow differently when wicked, it seems. At least mine do. The leaves tend to stick up more, and the new growth tighter. But, it grows at a more consistent rate, and I don't get the setbacks that not being able to water soon enough causes. So, the plants get to just keep on growing, rather than growing, stress out from lack of water, lose some leaves, and then recover. That whole cycle also delays flowering, for my plants. I got tired of it. But it's nice to test out wicking for yourself before converting them all. For instance, it shows you you've got your potting mix in the right proportion.

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

I thought I was having good success earlier (as in late 08 and early 09) until I tweaked my soil composition and added some more perlite and 1 part vermiculite.

WOW! I've had fabulous success since middle part of 09 and my plants are healthy and blooming. I hadn't thought about it but I really do think the soil had something to do with how well they are growing.

I've been missing you all :)
    Dora

• bonbon1550
    14 years ago

I read about it somewhere....but I don't know what I use?
    I know there is a way to get rid of it...right?

Thanks..

bonbon

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Bonbon - you could start your own topic...

2 types of white stuff -
    Powdery mildew - looks like flour was sprinkled on the leaves - not that bad - spray with Lysol, increase air movement, if it is possible - keep the temperature from dropping too low at the night time.

Fuzzy critters - you squash them - they have reddish juice in them - mealy bugs - hard to get rid of - to control - take q-tip, dip in alcohol - touch the mealie - it dies. Need to do it all the time checking all your plants. To get rid of it permanently - need to use Marathon in a soil. Expensive.

Good Luck

irina

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?