Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is 'User Database'?

Posted by crystalchild (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 14, 09 at 1:29

This must be such a basic thing, but what is a "user database"? I assume that the violet on a user database is not a registered variety. Who creates the "database," though? Does that mean a seller creates a description on his or her own?

Akiko

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is 'User Database'?

User Database you are referring to, I believe, was created by a grower HoneybeeNC. She has collected names of plants which have not been registered nor have they had descriptions sent to First Class 2.

Some of these have come from old catalogues which were published by violet sellers some time ago. Often these sellers are no longer in the business yet their descriptions are still available.

Most people that give descriptions are working from their plant. These are not descriptions from the hybridizer who may be deceased or no longer working with violets.

I am in Canada where many hybridizers have allowed their descriptions (or those of other growers) to be listed in what we call the Canadian Hybridizers' List. It may have around 200 hybridizers and each hybridizer may have from 5 to 50 plants.

This list was sent to HoneybeeNC to be put on the Database so that there would be a record of these plants which are still widely grown in Canada.

Nancy

o

Akiko,
My user database is from FC2. It is simply a device included in the program where a person can include a description and photo of a plant that is not registered or entered into first class. It is not an official registered plant but can be there for the users convenience.
Fred in NJ

o

Thank you both!

Akiko

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here