Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My leaves shouldn't look like this...

Posted by lilgreenfrog 5a CO (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 08 at 2:01

Hello!
I have a Purple Dragon who's had a bit of a rough go of it; in the last year I've gotten him re-established from a leaf, and he was doing nicely, and blooming. Here's the terrible part: I put him in a pot with no drain holes, and thought that if I didn't over water it'd be fine. Yes, that was stupid.
But, he's not wilty, or limp, his leaves are just turning the wrong color - kind of like the stereotypical movie drunk with all the broken cappilaries on the nose/cheeks...the green is leaching out, and the red lines stand out more and more (not the veins of the plant, mind you...just sqiggly red lines, like human cappilaries). Someone please tell me this is a salt imbalance, or something!
So, I repotted him tonight; it looks like he had lovely roots, and many are now dead. I used fresh dirt and a pot that drains *blush*, and broke off the largest, sickliest leaves. Is there anything else I can do? I know I'm not supposed to fertilize a stressed plant...

Sorry this is so long, and thanks for any help. I'll be SO mad if I kill this plant for the third time...

Lara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My leaves shouldn't look like this...

Lara -

You did everything right. Hopefully your "fresh dirt' is light - AVs like a lot of air in their soil.
It seems that the conditions were wrong - and you remedied the situation. I would put a leaf down just in case - so you have new babies.

Good luck

Irina

o

Thank you Irina!

I do believe the new dirt is light enough; it's AV potting mix, and is pretty springy. All my other babies do well in it. You know, in pots that drain...
And of course, the thing that other pot didn't let him have was air in the soil. GAAAH.

I will see if any of his leaves look like likely sprout makers; most of the big leaves are firm but pretty light on the chlorophyll. Do you know if the plant can remedy that, or if those leaves are just done being helpful?

Thanks again for the encouragement/info.

Lara

o

Lara -

First - if it is AV potting mix from Violet Showcase - it is great, if it is from Home Depot - it needs at least 1/3 perlite added, better more.

The leaves can look ugly - but if they are green - they still produce. So you can remove them earlier or later - up to you - they will possibly improve - but never be as good as new.

Good Luck and Happy Blooming

TGIF

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: Violet Showcase

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here