Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjbaby

buying

sjbaby
10 years ago

i am looking for a good online source for buying av there is no where near me that i can find selling, i dont count walmart, but i miss my old collection, lost when i had to move, and really want more, plus some to grow clipings for trade for some i cant find.

Comments (21)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Rob's Violet Barn, Lyon's Greenhouses, Bloomlovers are all good on-line sellers. There are also a lot of great sellers on E Bay. I can share my experiences with E Bay if you are interested.

Joanne. what is the name of the seller who has the vintage violets we talked about a while back? I can't think of it right now.

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Linda and SJBaby
    Fancy Bloomers in NJ, the owner's name is Donna. She has a short video on her website. She is really nice and will work with you to find what you want. Outstanding customer service.

Also, Jo's Violets has vintage varieties. I have bought from her as well. The plants were smaller than BL but all managed to survive.

Some people also mention with good results Bluebird and Travis, but I have not bought from them. So no personal experience.

I give two thumbs up to Lyndon Lyon's, in my (somewhat limited) experience of buying from growers. They are my first choice, if I can't find what I want there, then I begin to look elsewhere. With their plants, I don't have to do anything except water and wait for them to bloom. They come in nice, square pots that are getting more difficult to find these days.
    They are also well grown and symmetrical as starters.

With others, I usually have to repot fairly soon. Or sometimes wait a while for them to adjust to my location.
    But if SJ, you are an expert, these details will not throw you.

Jo

This post was edited by fortyseven on Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 21:17

• sjbaby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love the exchange but right now i have nothing to trade for.I will look up those sites, thank you for your help i am in no way a pro. every thing i learned i got from GW, I first started on here years ago, but i just recently got the chance to come back, i missed all of it.

• sjbaby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

P.S. any one out towards my neck of the woods?

• quimoi
    10 years ago

Kent's Flowers (the Storks) is in Fremont, NE, which is certainly not close, but maybe if you have to go that way...

I am fairly certain that they do not do mailorder.

Diana in PA

• Mary246
    10 years ago

I missed where you live. But I see that Diana mentioned Fremont, NE. Did you know there will be an African Violet show in Omaha March 8th.
    Mary

• sjbaby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am in Scottsbluff, kinda by the colorado border, basicaly NW part of the state, it is hard for me to make it any where that takes more than an hour to get to.

• irina_co
    10 years ago

SJBaby - March 15-16 we have a show and sale in Denver in Tagawa gardens.

I understand that 3 some hours one way - is too much. But you still have time to check with the friends on who will be interested to share the ride with you.

See you in 3 weeks - and come and buy them all.

Irina

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Three hour drive too much for a flower show??? I don't think so...... :)

Linda

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Linda - my dear - not everybody is as kooky as me and you ((-;.. The longest trip I did for a flower show - was to fly to Uppsala, Sweden.

Otherwise - the car can be unreliable, the back can start hurting... We were driving from Miami to Tampa - from a flower show - naturally - and my friend had a car with a lumbar support...I couldn't help her with driving for the life of me. My lumbar didn't need this support. So - I can commiserate...

i.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

The farthest I ever went to a flower show was Tokyo, Japan! It was an international orchid show and I was judging. So much fun!!! (Except for that 12 hour Japan to Chicago flight and then the seven hour drive home because all the flights were cancelled.) Other than that it was great. Makes that 5 hour drive to Nashville for convention seem like a piece of cake.

You know....when you see it in writing it does make us look a little kooky, doesn't it??? ;)

Linda

• sjbaby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

gas and time are my issue but i will see if i can make it, sadly i cant seem to find any one in this town with the passion for avs and plants i have

• aegis1000
    10 years ago

I have had happy results purchasing AV's from ...

Lyndon Lyon (nice healthy starter plants that are quick to bloom)
    Jack's Violets - ebay (nice healthy starter plants)
    Blooming Jungle (nice healthy starter plants)
    BloomLovers (healthy plugs and leaves)
    PJ's Violets - ebay (healthy mature plants)
    Fancy Bloomers (healthy plants - 3 different sizes)

• sjbaby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you i will check them out, thank you for your info

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

I'll add to that list Blue Mountain Violets on E Bay. Fantastic plants, good prices, and Buy It Nows so no bidding hassles.

Linda

• sjbaby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you all for all the great sites

• 1beautylover2012
    10 years ago

sjbaby, write to me on pga@att.net.
    Polina.

• sjbaby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ummm how do i do that? sorry not to good at emails and stuff like that, i do mostly fb and gmail

• sjbaby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i just cleaned my email out so if you email me i will get it

• cookie_grow
    10 years ago

Also added " baby-violet-plants " from eBay. Small selection, but I've had good success with the plants.

Cooks.

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks, Linda and Aegis,
    For suggestions of vendors. Joanne