Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pembroke_gw

what happened to Frozen In Time

pembroke
14 years ago

Most of you saw the picture of this AV that I posted some time ago. I gave that plant away, not before starting two more of this plant. The new plants now have purple blooms instead of the green and white. BOOOOOOOO. How do I get them to go back to the green and white. All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance. Pembroke

Comments (10)

• travisviolets
    14 years ago

Thats the nature of this plant. You now have Frosty Frolic when it blooms with purple.Frosty Frolic is a sport of Frozen in Time.

They are both reg with AVSA.

Travis

• pembroke
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So, can I take a leaf of Frosty Frolic and get a Frozen In Time back?? OR do I have to buy another Frozen In Time? What causes Frozen In Time to revert to Frosty Frolic? Is there a way to stop this? Pembroke

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Nope =

if it sports it sports. You need to get another one.
    I had Frozen in Time some time ago - and it has a slight lavender tint to it - depending on the weather. Do not buy a plant - get a leaf - and spread the babies all over your friends. Then you always have a replacement coming in case yours sports again.

I have the same issue with Irish Flirt - it sports to pinkish Sassy Sister in my conditions. And I like Irish Flirt much better.

Good Luck

Irina

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

if it's any consolation - mine did the same thing :(

Dora

• pembroke
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've got one for you. I gave my mother a Frozen In Time and saw it the other day and half of the plant is purple and white and the other half is green and white. One plant. I looked to be sure that it hadn't started another. This plant is so crazy. Pembroke

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Please disregard this post. I was searching for the topic of white african violets, this older thread came up.
    Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 23:32

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

What causes Frozen In Time to revert to Frosty Frolic? Is there a way to stop this? Pembroke

What causes sporting? Genetics, intense hybridization and growing conditions to name the most likely suspects. A violet that has been highly manipulated through hybridization carries genetics that are more complicated and thus more unstable than the original species or one that has not been as extensively bred. As a rule of thumb-the 'fancier' a violet is-chimera, fantasy, etc., the more likely it is to sport. Genes that are hidden can begin to express themselves. Often all it takes is a small bump-like our cold winter-to nudge these genes out of hiding.

Is there a way to stop this? Not really. Plants will grow as they will. The easiest way to handle this is to enjoy their spontaneity and unpredictability. Irina recommends taking a leaf from any new plant so you always have a back-up. This may help keep a FIT for you. Or the leaf could sport. Who knows?

Personally, I think your mother's plant sounds awesome. How about a picture?

Linda

• quimoi
    10 years ago

What I believe is the "official" description of Frozen in Time says "variable lavender tinge" so even it doesn't promise that it will be just green and white.

This is the thread where I learned that FF and FIT were pretty much the same plant.

Diana

• catseye_1978
    10 years ago

This is such an interesting thread! I have so many leaves down, half of them aren't labeled. Anything with a name is labeled. Now I'm wondering how many will be something totally new! There's always something new with these plants, I'm finding. :)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

In my years of growing, leaves do not usually sport. The leaf will be true to the variety from whence it came. It is the plant that sports. Again, this is my experience, (forty years worth!) and you can never predict what plants will do!

Linda