Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tamisue_2009

Watering; best water?

tamisue_2009
15 years ago

I noticed somewhere on this list that collecting water from an air conditioner makes for very good water for AV. Collecting such water would be a pain for me to do. BUT! I would assume that the gallons of water I poor out of my dehumidifier in my basement in summer would be the same? I mean, I could collect a gallon or more a DAY during the warmer months. Just collect jugs and fill them up, they should be able to store thru the year. Am I correct?

Tami Sue

Comments (6)

• bspofford
    15 years ago

You are absolutely right! No chlorine, no salt, etc. Do keep an eye on them as they are stored to ensure no algae develops. What a great source you have at hand.

Barbara

• tamisue_2009
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think, if I store the water in total darkness (storage room in corner of my basement) that there should be no algae growth since algae needs light to grow?
    Tami

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Tami Sue -

you wouldn't get any algae in a dark, that's for sure.

Why do you think your regular water is not good? As long as you let it sit for 24 hours and air the chlorine out?

People who get the well water - usually are the ones who had too alkaline and too hard water. A friend of mine gets 9.5 Ph in her water and it is a death sentence to the plants (and I think to her kidneys). She installed reverse osmosis system for her water for the plants and for her family to drink. There is no such thing as collecting rain water in Colorado.

I would say - you need to check with your water district - what are their numbers. I hope somebody will correct me if I am wrong - but there are things to check for - the solids in water - it is dissolved salts should be less than 150 mg/liter - hardness , PH and what do they use to sanitize it - chlorine - it is good, you can air it out, chloramine - it is not good, you cannot get rid of it.

Irina

• tamisue_2009
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think my water is not good because I have well water and is INCREDIBLY hard. We just had it tested and is 700mg hardness! I get a lot of white, hard residue on my pots and top of soil. We are putting in a water softener. So rather than used the "soft" water....and rather than dump a gallon of pure water down the drain each day from the dehumidifier....I'd rather use the pure water....and not have to soak my pots in vinegar every so often.
    Tami

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Tami -

Absolutely correct approach. I would check if you actually can drink this water - softener or not.

Irina

• tamisue_2009
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We already had the water checked for drinking, as it had to pass that test when we purchased the house (we haven't been here long). It's not contaminated, just very high in minerals and limes everything up. Minerals are not harmfull for drinking, but not do good on my plant's pots. Two types of water conditions: hardness and contaminants. I'll take the hardness over contaminants. At least we can put in a water softener. Contamnants such as phosphates or nitrates, then would need a new well. But if the aquafier is contaminated (underground rivers and streams) then would be in big trouble.
    Tami Sue
    Tami