Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leves fading to light green

Posted by jobear446 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 08 at 8:30

Hi, Does anyone have as idea as to why some of my AVs are getting lighter green leaves. One of my minis that used to flower regularly is doing this. I even repotted it and it is still light green with no blooms. Also one of my large varigated trailers, is losing its varigation. They are not under lights now, I thought that might be the problem. I repotted them about 2 months ago and they should be over the shock by now. I fertilize with a weak solution everytime I water. Now I am wondering if it is too much. The potting soil I buy to mix my own violet soil has some fertilizer in it that is supposed to last for so long. Could that be it?? Sorry to be so long winded, but...........
Thanks, Joanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leves fading to light green

Hi Joanne -

Mostly the leaves bleach if it is too much light or not enough nitrogen in your fertilizer. Too much fertilizer and you get orange crust on the young leaves. You can try to water with a weak fish emulsion to see if it will change anything.

There is so many components in "culture" - and the plants have a limited way to show that they are in trouble.

If everything is absolutely the same - and you checked your roots that you do not have soil mealy bugs eating on them - it can be something in a water - for example your water district decided to switch from chlorine to chloramine for desinfecting water - and #2 is much worse for the plants.

Irina

o

Not to interrupt a thread - just wanted to express my horror at the idea of SOIL mealy bugs.
I didn't know that level of awfulness was allowed... ;)

Lara

o

Lara -

you can kill the mealy bugs off. Water district - NO.

I.

o

The variegated trailer may be losing varigation because of warmth. Keep it cooler by growing it on a lower shelf if you have a light garden set up. Variegation is affected by temperature.

For the others, I believe it is your soil mix with added fertilizer. You don't know how much fertilizer they have put into the mix. It might be even enough for plants outside. I would say to change the soil mix and use only 1/4 teaspooon per gallon warm water for AVs.

Until you have finished with this soil mix, water with plain water only.

Nancy

o

Thanks Everyone, I appreciate the suggestions for a solution to my problem. I will try them..........\\Joanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here