Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frank325

Diagnosis on these leaves

frank325
15 years ago

Okay, so originally I posted a topic about this plant:

HERE

I decided to just get rid of most of the leaves and try and start over. This is what it is looking like. Any idea what could be causing the leaves to do this?

Comments (12)

• robitaillenancy1
    15 years ago

It's difficult to diagnose over the internet. Droopy leaves are caused by:
    1. too much water
    2. Being dried out
    3. Cold shock
    4. disturbance of rootball
    5. Soil mealy bug

If you can cross out the first three, consider the last two. Did you say you repotted, taking away some of the original soil? If so, just put that plastic bag back on for about a week. Use straws or knives to hold the sack off the plant.

When you were working with the rootball did you see a powdery white substance? Was there a white powder inside the pot?

Nancy

• quinnfyre
    15 years ago

Did the leaves look like that before you put it in the bag? If not, I find that some of my bagged plants look like that because condensation that forms on the bag drips onto the leaves and then the sun burns it. Either that, or the condensation droplets on the bag itself focus sun and burn the leaf. My windows are south facing and covered with a sheer mesh curtain, so the light is diffused but this still happens to me sometimes. The temperature changes from being near the window generally make the baggies shrink into themselves, which increases the chances for water to get on the leaves. I just let air back into the baggies periodically to fix this, but I think Nancy's suggestion of using straws or something to hold the plastic away from the plant is a good idea.

• frank325
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Right now the droopy leaves are gone, so my concern is the weird discoloring. Yes, they did look like this before I bagged it. But it has gotten worse. No, I don't think it's water getting on the leaves. At most, there is only slight moisture on the inside of the bag, it's not so humid that water is showing up on the leaves. I don't recall any white powdery substance when messing with the soil/rootball.

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Frank -

your plant looks pretty good to me regarding what it went through. Probably the damage is from all this TLC you gave it. Means mechanical.

Now you just let it be, and just wait for the plant to grow and send new undamaged leaves. Do not overwater it and take it out of the bag. The leaves with spots will not green up - but the new leaves will come right.

So - do not touch it - and do not overwater. Tell us how the new leaves look like in a month or too.

Good luck and all Valentine kisses

irina

• frank325
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Would messing with the roots/rootball cause spotting leaves?? I'm confused on that one.

• robitaillenancy1
    15 years ago

Those spots are likely caused by cold water dripping on the leaves. Probably the salesperson watered the plant with cold water. The only way to remedy this is to accept it or take off the leaf.

Nancy

• frank325
    Original Author
    15 years ago

that's what I thought at first, but I swear it's more now than it was. i didn't drip water on them, so that's why I thought it was maybe something else. but i don't have any old pics of this plant to do a comparison over the last couple weeks.

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

Sure you don't have a virus and the plant is dying?

Just asking....
    Dora

• robitaillenancy1
    15 years ago

Are you saying the spots appeared since you purchased the plant?

What is the spot? A rotting? Black, yellow-white?

Nancy

• frank325
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's what I'm not sure of. At first I thought they have been getting worse, but now I'm thinking it could just appear that way if the leaves are still growing, thus the spots are growing larger.

The spots aren't rotting,it's what you see in the picture. Instead of green they are very light green in color. I guess I'll just leave it be and see what happens over time.

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Frank =

Did you ever water it with cold water - straight from the tap - or you could leave your watering can near the window overnight? Water should be room temperature or just a bit warmer. Cold water definitely can create these spots.

It doesn't look as necrotic spot virus to me - but if it is the case - you need to throw the plant away - pot and all.

irina

• frank325
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nope, no cold water. I fill up water jugs and use them for at least a week until one runs out, so all water sits out at least a day or two before actually getting used.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio