Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AV Sports

Posted by thominindy 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 24, 09 at 8:47

Hello Everyone. Another wonderful week.

I have been reading about AV sports and I still don't quite get it. Please explain.

Thank you

Thom in Indy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AV Sports

A sport is simply a plant that did not conform to the original hybrid.
Fred in NJ

o
RE: AV Sports

Just say you grew a violet. You read the AVSA description, standard, single pink bloom, plain green leaves. You grow that plant and it always looks like that.

Then one day...you look at it and surprise, it is growing different..the flower color, the leaf color something is not following its previous growth pattern.....and it isn't because your plant has insects or virus or desease, ha. It just keeps growing and blooming different than it did when it was growing like its description. This plant is now a sport.

I have been growing Gher Lollipop for 2-3 years. Always it has double white with touch of yellow sometimes bloom. BUT, this past bloom cycle, it is less double, the flowers are a light pink with green edge. IF it has sported, it will have to continue to bloom this way and not go back to the double white. It was quite a surprise. I like pink and green on blooms, but I LOVED my little Lollipop and am quite upset about it. I had been watering my streps with tomato fertilizer and sometimes the violets got it too if there was some left in the watering can when a plant was dry, they get whatever is in there, which should be fine for gesneriads-always diluted plant fertilizer. Anyway...if this could have caused it, I don't know...there is not anything else that was different than what I've always been doing. I'm hoping with plain water and repotting, it will come back white next time it blooms. If not, its pretty and I'll just get another Lollipop.

tish

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here