Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momoftwoobx

Plants from leaves - multiple plants formed

momoftwoobx
10 years ago

I grew a dozen violets from leaves starting Jan. 2013. Many of the plants have what looks like multiple plants in the pot. Are these in fact multiple plants that I should separate into their own small pots. The attached is Hearts Aflutter.

Plants appears to be healthy. Plant is 12"-13" wide and in a 4" pot.

Comments (9)

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

I cannot see the entirety of your pot, but I can see at least two plants (maybe a third one in the back right, hard to tell). Can you show a picture from overhead as well?

Planto

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

HI They are separate plants. You can look at the center of each one to identify the crown. When you remove them from the pot and shake off the soil from the roots, you should be able to see the separate root systems. Gently separate them. You can pot each one individually into its own small pot. If for any reason, the roots separate from the plant, you can still plant it, it will develop roots of its own. Try to keep them all under a dome for a couple of weeks. If you have time to look through some of the threads below on this forum, you will see a recent demonstration in photos of the process. I am sure others will chime in with more tips. Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

I'm not sure from your post if you know this, but one leaf can send up a variable number of babies. That is why you can end up with multiple plants in a pot. If you can't tell the individual crowns from the top, look at the pot at eye level and you should be able to tell the individuals and then you can gently pull them apart. Do as Joanne says, although it is not necessary to shake the soil from the roots. This can damage tiny feeder hairs on the roots.

It looks like you have done quite well on your propagation efforts!

Linda

• momoftwoobx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My grandma introduced me to violets as a child in the 70's/80's and I've never seen a leaf make multiple plants. I have started with leaf cuttings several times. Wow, now I have extra plants to share.

I guess I should separate them soon so that they will form their normal plant shape versus weird shape since they are all smooshed together now.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Before you separate, let your plants go a bit dry. This will let your leaves get a bit flibbily and they will be less prone to breakage. Water well after separating.

Linda

• zzackey
    10 years ago

Wow! Those are huge plants for a 4" pot. What do you fertilize with?

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Linda, How do you separate the roots from each other?
    Thanks! Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Joanne,

Gently! Just ease them apart. They will usually come loose. Some damage is unavoidable but try not to man-handle them.
    Again, it helps if everything is a bit dry.

Linda

• momoftwoobx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Zackey. I use Schultz African Violet Plus food. Use the 7 drops per qt each time I water.

The plants sit in a West window and love it there. When I move them to the South window while the Christmas tree is up they do not like it even though it's only 20' away.

Sponsored