Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharon620

house plants in water with fish at the bottom.. help

sharon620
15 years ago

I saw this on televison and also I was talking about it with a gentlmen at Lowe's.

They were tying to explain to me how to put a plant such as an african (spelling) or peace lily right in water with this fish on the bottom and the fish will feed off the roots.

This is all confusing to me. this would take place in a glass vase or bowl so you can see the fish.

Could anyone point me in the direction I should go with this? Or no direction at all?? lol

Thanks

Sharon

Comments (10)

• tlovesflowers
    15 years ago

Hi Sharon, I have never seen this done with an african violet. I did it once with a spathiphyllum (peace liliy) with a beta fish. I had to feed the fish Beta food and clean the clear glass vase once a week.I put pretty marbles in vase bottom. You also need to get all soil off roots before putting in water. I think an african violet would be inclined to root rot in this enviroment because the crown would get wet. I kept this fish alive for almost 2 years. Good luck with your project.

• daw_etc
    15 years ago

Just like with many plants that say "can tolerate" such conditions, it still might not be what's best for a beta fish. I did a lot of research since I recently got a beta fish and generally people agree that yes, a beta can live in bad water in a small area...Is this best for the fish? I doubt it. They can also live in larger tanks. And bad water hurts their skin and fins. They can get diseases and pests just like plants. Also, I've read this set-up of a plant above a beta be referred to as a "beta death-trap." So I HIGHLY suggest you do beta research before subjecting it to what may be poor conditions.
    -Dani

• larry_b
    15 years ago

Below is a link that you might like to look at. She talks about the plant/betta thing.

Larry

Here is a link that might be useful: Betta Talk

• tlovesflowers
    15 years ago

Thank you for link on betta care. Wished I had a computer as a resource 6-7 years ago. I did have fish for almost two years but was careful with cleaning,feeding and trimming plant roots. I don't think an african violet would be good in this set up even without the fish because of the chance of root rot. Has anyone here had luck growing one in a vase of water ( other than rooting a leaf)?
    tlovesflowers

• irina_co
    15 years ago

T -

the wild AVs live in a very loose soil, leaf debris in the cracks of rocks. They are used to have plenty of air for their roots to breath. You can root a leaf and get AV plantlets in water - but to grow nicely and bloom they need soil. There is a semi-hydroponic way of growing them - you can search on S/H in our previous posts - so you can fill your vase with hydroton clay balls and add water and fertilizer to the bottom of the vase - but again - this method gives the roots plenty of air.

I.

• tlovesflowers
    15 years ago

Thank You Irina. There sure is alot to read in previous posts on S/H. I'll have to read all the posts and maybe give it a try .
    T

• mary schaeffer
    3 years ago

DO NOT put a beta or any fish in a vase, or extremely small container

They are going to suffer their entire life. Bettas-----live for 5-6 yrs. Not only about 2

• Rosie1949
    3 years ago

This was real popular a while back. I remember seeing many betta jailed in a jar and people would always differ on whether or not to feed them Betta food. I always felt sorry for the bettas in the store in a small plastic tub ready for sale.

I think the idea was that betta could live off of the decaying stuff from the roots or maybe nibble on the roots? I don't know. They are certainly beautiful fish though.

As far as AV's go,,,,,,you can convert them to wick watering. Irina gave one method of it. There are many more ways to do it also. But I don't think it will work with a fish of any kind. JMO,,,,,,Rosie

• mary schaeffer
    3 years ago

I agree, it's a horrible existence to be in a small CUP of water !!

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions