Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
printmaster1

Optimara AV's at Walmart

Optimara had announced on FB early this week that they had shipped to Wally World and should be ready by this weekend. I checked the local store on the way home last night and BINGO!
$2.99 each made it even better!
Modesty, Scarlett, & Millenia is what I went home with, but they had several others.

Comments (18)

• seaj
    11 years ago

Wow those look great! Were they in a particular spot in the store? I live in California so most stores place all their plants outside, including the African Violets and Phalaenopsis orchids even during the winter. Most look extra dead within days. Even my Trader Joe's puts their violets outside all day long in the sun and winter cold.

• seaj
    11 years ago

Also, did you happen to see any mini violets? Thanks again for the heads up.

• terrilou
    11 years ago

Lucky you! I called a couple of Walmarts in my area of Indiana and they don't have any. A grower from Illinois indicated she hadn't located any either. Guess we'll have to wait for another shipment!

• chiquib313
    11 years ago

Did these AV's have name tags or did you just identify them from the Optimara website? I have seen them at Walmart & Lowe's but never with name tags.

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have been to five different stores and only three had AV's. Only one had a name tag. I had to go to the Optimara site for names, "MyViolet.com". I did find a Maui too.
    Two stores had them inside the building and one was outside but heated.
    Lonnie

• seaj
    11 years ago

I went to two stores and couldn't find any. I also went to an Orchard Supply and saw some nice looking violets, but the flowers weren't very exciting so I passed. Maybe the plants are taking an extra day to make it to the West coast?

This post was edited by seaj on Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 0:43

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Seaj,
    There were a few mini's.
    Check this link to see if they ship to your local.
    http://www.myviolet.com/retail

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The link didn't show Walmart at all in my area, but three of five stores had them.
    Check their FB page - Optimara African Violets.
    Lonnie

• seaj
    11 years ago

Thanks for the tips Lonnie. I went to my third Walmart this morning and still no luck. According to their Facebook page they don't sell their minis to retail stores, and those are the only ones I have space for right now. I did try the store search on their site and it lead me back to the nursery where I bought all my violets from in the first place. I'll just head back there the next chance I get since they have a marvelous selection of mini violets. They are a retail nursery so all the plants are only $1.49 to $2.50, but they are too far away to make the trip as often as I'd like.

Does anyone know where Trader Joe's gets their violets from? I've never got a good look at their violets but I know they sell them.

• terrilou
    11 years ago

Seaj, Somewhere on their Facebook page, Optimara says they also supply violets to Trader Joes.

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lowe's also has a few Optimara. I bought two mini's from Lowe's, they were in a tiny tea pots.
    Lonnie

• aviolet6
    11 years ago

My Lowes is selling a bunch of recently killed minis for $2.49 each! The way they take care of their plants is attrocious!

• seaj
    11 years ago

I checked out Lowe's today but there were no violets there either, but the selection of other plants was pretty great so the trip was semi-successful. I'll try my luck at Trader Joe's next. They sell them for 2.99 there, but I'm sure the plants will be in bad shape unless you get them fresh in the morning.

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

aviolet6,
    I agree with you. They over/under water everything. They literially don't care. The nusery has to reimburse them for anything that dies and it cost money to pay someone to water and take care of each plant.

Lonnie

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Last night (02.28.13) at my local Walmart. They still have a healthy supply of Optimara violets.

Lonnie

• irina_co
    11 years ago

Guys -

Optimara's AVs always come with fungus gnats and thrips! Get prepared to treat the pests!

Irina, the spoilsport

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

I love everyones photos, thanks for sharing them.

• Jannich
    11 years ago

I'm loving the pictures also but please be careful.I bought a AV at my walmart last week and put it in a gallon plastic bag for isolation, later on I took the pot off but still in the bag and looked with my mini microscope and found soil mealies.Isalate,isaltate,isalate.

Jan

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!