Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chaznsc

Limp AV Leaves

chaznsc
16 years ago

I have 2 AV's that I repotted over the last few weeks. They both now have droopy outer leaves. I have checked the roots and they are DRY.

Can someone PLEASE help me not to lose them? I am very frustrated.

chaz

Comments (9)

• dragonfly2008
    16 years ago

I can't tell for sure without seeing the plants, but it may just be "transplant shock". As long as the crown (center) leaves are turgid (stiff) and healthy looking, you should be OK. Just put the plant inside a plastic baggie for a few days and see if that helps. Keep the baggie out of direct sunlight. If the roots are dry, you should give it a little bit of water. You could try a couple drops of "Superthrive" (a plant vitamin/hormone) in a gallon of water. That usually helps with transplant shock...if that is what's wrong with plants.

• alenka
    16 years ago

Chaz -- sorry if I'm misunderstanding you -- but when you said that the roots were dry, did you mean that the soil that your plants are in is completely bone-dry, all the way through the pot? If that's what you meant, then you should just water your plants. They shouldn't dry out completely, that certainly will cause them to wilt. Ideally the soil should always be just a bit damp -- you should let the plants dry out after watering, but not completely.
    But if you meant that the soil is a bit damp but not wet, then do the baggie thing, like dragonfly suggested.

• chaznsc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I dont know if I wanter too much or not enough. I have lost several plants over the years with similar characteristics. The outer leaves go limp, then it reaches the crown. My soil it pretty dry right now, not crusty, but not wet by any means.

I really want to learn how NOT to do what I am doing.

chaz

• bspofford
    16 years ago

chaz,

How about a little more information, please? What kind of a potting medium are you using? How do you water?

This will give us a better picture of what you are doing and help us help you.

Thanks, and don't give up!

Barbara

• chaznsc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It is an african violet mix. I water using a neat little squirting tool that allows me to place water where i want to. I water from the top in this particular pot.

• robitaillenancy1
    16 years ago

Most soil mixes are too "heavy" for African violets--even the ones made especially for AVs. Most growers use 1/3 part each of the following: peat moss, vermiculite and perlite.

What you can do is add to your present mix a part of your violet mix, a part vermiculite and a part perlite. Mix this, add water and let it sit for a day. Peat moss is very dry and it doesn't get moistened very easily.

Nancy

• dragonfly2008
    16 years ago

The best way I can think of to know if your plant is watered properly is to simply pick up the pot shortly after you water it. You will get a feel for how heavy the pot is and a couple days later, if, when you pick it up, the pot feels light, then you know it is time to water it again. When top watering, water it until the water runs out the bottom of the pot and discard all excess water no longer than 20 minutes after watering to avoid root rot.
    I know how frustrating it is to lose a plant. Believe me after many many years of growing violets, I have lost plenty of them for one reason or another.

• dragonfly2008
    16 years ago

The best way I can think of to know if your plant is watered properly is to simply pick up the pot shortly after you water it. You will get a feel for how heavy the pot is and a couple days later, if, when you pick it up, the pot feels light, then you know it is time to water it again. When top watering, water it until the water runs out the bottom of the pot and discard all excess water no longer than 20 minutes after watering to avoid root rot.
    I know how frustrating it is to lose a plant. Believe me after many many years of growing violets, I have lost plenty of them for one reason or another.

• chaznsc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I wanted to thank each of you for your valuable input. One of the AV's in question is in my office. I gave it a good "drink" friday, and to my surprise it was standing up nice and tall this morning upon my arrival to work.

I was so afraid of root rot I think I almost went in the other direction. The other plants I am still working with, placing them in plastic bags as I dont think this is the same problem as my "office" violet.

t h a n k s a g a i n !

chaz

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting