Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
froeschli

Rotting from the outside...

Karin
10 years ago

Ok, so there I am, thinking I've finally figured this out, and then I kill another one...
I had bought it a few weeks ago, repotted it in perlite-av mix (yeah, I know shouldn't do that right away, but the last one I got from the same place nearly died because of the dense soil) and left it alone. Watering as usual, same as all the others.
Then, a week ago I noticed the outside leaves were flopping. Not for lack of water/crispness, but because their stems had rotted. I stripped all the good leaves off and planted them. Within two days, they had all turned black and were dead.
I have one leaf I planted when I first bought it, and it has roots, so it isn't a total loss yet.
So, just wondering if anyone has an idea as to what went wrong? It doesn't seem like the 'typical' root damage-behaviour.
Though, it was my first & only girl leaf AV, do they like to be contrary? ;-p

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

There are a couple of fungal varieties that attack violets and I think that is your problem. Fungus attack the violets from the inside and there is very little, if anything, that can be done once your plant is affected. I would bet your violet had the beginnings of it when you bought it. Your leaves did not take because they were already affected except for the one that has rooted.

The only thing that can be done with fungal problems is to avoid them with good culture. You did nothing wrong but I would avoid buying from the same place again. It sounds as though they have a disease problem. ( The fungal spores can live in the growing area and infect new plants).

This has nothing to do with girl leaves just poor growing practices by the seller.

Linda

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

There is a way to predict rotting of AVs.

After watering, wait a couple hours, then, you touch the tips of the leaves and move them. If the leaves are very loose, can be described as really soft, then you need to immediately put the pot into airy location, raise temperature and use ample light continuously, until the leaves are firm again.

The correct leaves are quite firm. There is resistance to your attempt to move them.

• Karin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmmm, a fungal issue sounds possible. And more likely than the theory that someone might have thrown it in the freezer for a bit (there'd be easier ways to ask for a divorce :-p )
    I got two other violets from the same source and was not impressed with the soil quality. The first one nearly died until I repotted in a pot half the size of the original, the second was doing poorly when I bought it half off, then turned out to be the strongest of the three so far.
    The only reason I keep buying there (if you call 3 purchases a habit) is because they have anthoflores as opposed to optimara varieties. Which means (IMO) more interesting foliage and different flowers.

But yeah, as spring approaches (ever so slowly), I am debating the sense of spending $4 on a NOID with questionable chances of survival, vs saving up for the avsc show or an online order...

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

It sounds as though they have heavy soil combined with irregular care. This will bring on a fungal infection quite easily. The spores are generally everywhere but can usually only infect a plant that is struggling.
    Buying from the convention is the best, I think. Nice plants grown by knowledgeable violet people. Also, I know some people avoid E Bay but I have found some fantastic sellers there, as well. And if you are looking for more interesting plants, you will have to branch out from the grocery/big box stores!

Linda

This post was edited by whitelacey on Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 3:45

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Frozen violets as grounds for divorce, Karin, you crack me up. Poor DH is probably not that nefarious!! Hope you get to your upcoming show, it sounds great!
    Jo

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Generally-a disease will kill any plant fairly quickly. Obvious damage to the plant-wilting, water-logged look, wobbly foliage, collapse-are disease related. Insects are more subtle. Growth will be slow, 'off', or misshapen.

Linda

• irina_co
    10 years ago

After you repot - keep from watering the same as the rest. You need to keep it on a dry side. The larger is the violet - the more important is to baby it after repotting.

To be on a cautious side- there is rootrot and there is ROOTROT - that basically goes like a forest fire from plant to plant and devastates your collection in no time. Beware of the stuff your bring from a store. Keep it in another room for isolation for some time.

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

Posted by irina_co z5 CO (My Page) on Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 14:23

You are so right. My first AV grew marvelously. But after I repotted it, I watered it. That was right at the time when the heating ended. It rotted rapidly. When I noticed something wrong, the center had already turned into a tan color.

Gladly, I have never seen the ROOTROT disease. I have only a few plants and they are indoors.