Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aiharang

Av seedlings

aiharang
11 years ago

Aloha from Sunny Singapore! I love how active and friendly this forum is :)
Recently I bought 2 packs of av seed online minis Av. Would like to see friends out here on when and how I should transplant .

I used coconut husk mix -super porous and kitchen paper town for each packs of seeds... Both gave me 100 odd seedlings within 2 weeks. Hope the pictures below shows.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/aihara/photo4_zps04bb3d16.jpg

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/aihara/photo4_zps04bb3d16.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/aihara/photo3_zps7c741195.jpg[/IMG]

Regards
Ben

This post was edited by aiharang on Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 11:23

Comments (8)

• aiharang
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pic uoload

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    11 years ago

Ben,
    You should transplant when the leaves are large enough that you feel comfortable handling them. I usually wait until the plant has two sets of 'true' leaves on them. (The first two leaves are cotyledon leaves and will differ from the rest of the leaves. Do not count these.) You can use a plant tag to remove them gently from the medium in which you are growing and to transfer the babies to their new pot. I use an azalea pan and plant a community pot of babies. I don't know your usual growing medium but a peat moss/vermiculite/perlite mix in equal parts is what I use for everything. Water gently and place in your growing area with some type of covering, (I use domes but most use plastic baggies,) Keep evenly moist and use a balanced fertilizer when you start to see active growth.
    You may need to experiment some as every one's growing conditions are different, but this should get you started.
    I hope this helps!
    Linda

• aiharang
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello Linda, thank you for the kind sharing! I will be using your recommended soil mix. I guess I will transplant to similar container boxes- sealed to maintain moisture . I will post again once I have transplanted. Just to share.. Also I noticed quite a few actually gave one true leave from the cotyledon. Ie I could see enlarged curvy edges while the opposite leaf is just a small round leaf. But this is only for about 15% of the seedlings. I love variegated AV and due to space constrain I favor mini :) these are all mini seedlings I hope to have so super interesting plant in the new few months to come... Sooo excited. I have also experimented growing seed pod on some of my std NOID .

Ben from Singapore

• aiharang
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello Linda, thank you for the kind sharing! I will be using your recommended soil mix. I guess I will transplant to similar container boxes- sealed to maintain moisture . I will post again once I have transplanted. Just to share.. Also I noticed quite a few actually gave one true leave from the cotyledon. Ie I could see enlarged curvy edges while the opposite leaf is just a small round leaf. But this is only for about 15% of the seedlings. I love variegated AV and due to space constrain I favor mini :) these are all mini seedlings I hope to have so super interesting plant in the new few months to come... Sooo excited. I have also experimented growing seed pod on some of my std NOID .

Ben from Singapore

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    11 years ago

Ben,
    Keep me up on your results; I'd love to see them! Also, again, not sure what is available in your part of the world but be careful choosing your peat moss. Here in the states we have Michigan peat and Canadian peat (which is also sometimes just called peat moss). You need to use Canadian as the Michigan has degraded to the point that it is not useful for much of anything and, because of the state of degradation, it is too acidic for violets. If your peat has labeling different than this look for peat that is a medium brown in color. Michigan is almost black.
    I hope this helps!
    Linda

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    11 years ago

Ben,

Do you know what the crosses were that your seeds came from? That might help you get an idea of what to expect. Hybridizing your own and growing from seed is exciting (!) but it does teach you patience :)

Linda

• aiharang
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello Linda,

Thank u for the kind follow up . I will post again the picture in 1-2 weeks time I hope there will be healthier plantlets to show. I bought the seeds from nadeau, don't think will know the parents.
    Gonna be tonnes of surprises. :)

Oh I just bought the pest moss, no label but a clean brown coloration and loose rather fresh. I hope that should be fine :)
    Ben

This post was edited by aiharang on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 11:25

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    11 years ago

Your peat sounds fine. Have fun!

Linda

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting