Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aviolet6

In search of new light

aviolet6
11 years ago

Anyone know where I can find a 4ft long but not very wide 2 bulb flourescent grow light with plastic cover (diffuser?) over it? It seems when you get to the longer or multi bulb fixtures they don't have any cover over the bulbs but I need that so the light isn't as intense. I use the little 24 inch one tube grow lights at Walmart (with plastic cover) but I need one twice as long with 2 bulbs, not one. Can anyone advise me?

Comments (5)

• irina_co
    11 years ago

Home Depot. Called wraparound light. You need to rewire it though - which is not a big deal - I usually lop the cord with a fork from the shoplight that is already dead.

Do not buy the one for T12 tubes - get one for T8s. They use less energy, last longer etc. To compensate for just a bit more light - decrease the time they are on.

Here is a link that might be useful: wraparound

• daniel.edmondson
    11 years ago

I find that a sheet of old fashion wax paper works great as a light diffuser on my 2 blub t-8 light fixture . I use masking tap on each side of the fixture to attach the wax paper

• aviolet6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you both for your helpful replies. Irina, I found the light you told me about. Home Depot didn't have one of those last time I looked. Problem is that I don't want to hang it on the ceiling. I want to prop it up a foot or two above my plants with each end resting on something. But since it doesn't have a typical cord with plug that can plug into the wall socket, I don't think I can use it. Any other ideas? I want one like you suggested but with a regular cord that can plug into a wall.

Otherwise, Daniel your wax paper idea sounds good if it works for you. I suppose I could get the regular shoplights that don't have diffusers, and wrap wax paper around them. If one layer isn't enough I could use more! I tried a large stand with T12s and also a T5 stand in the past; all of them eventually damaged my violet plants even with attempts to adjust distance, number of hours, and even hanging a sheer piece of cloth / tissue paper under/around the fixures. The wal-mart 24" grow lights with diffusers have been great, but now I have some plants that are so healthy just one of those at a time isn't enough. I have a limited area of space where I have placed 2 grow lights across from each other, but they have to be held up separately across from each other and one long fixture with double bulbs would be so much better and save me space. Anyway, thanks for the helpful info.

• Edie
    11 years ago

aviolet, Irina seems to be suggesting that you add a cord with plug to the new shop light by taking one off a dead shop light. Then you'll be able to plug in the new light wherever you need to - into the wall, into an extension cord, into a timer. I haven't done this myself yet.

You may have a third option. Hang the light higher up, further away from your plants. You will need to experiment to find the right distance, and if you have a premade shelf or stand you may not be able to adjust it enough.

• irina_co
    11 years ago

AViolet - I like these wraparounds better than shoplights because the tubes are farther from one another - and the light is distrubuted better. But they have regular T8 shoplights in HD for $19 with cord and a plug.

Rewiring it is not a problem - if you do not feel like doing it yourself - ask hubby or a friend who is handy. I usually attach the fixtures to the shelf with the help of long plastic ties and metal hooks that come with the shoplights.

I.

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer