Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunnycat_gw

Violets with fantasy puffs

bunnycat
16 years ago

Are there any that have the reputation for being more stable than most?

Or the reverse...Do some have reputations for being particularly prone to sporting to plain colors? I've already run into this problem.

~Bunnycat

Comments (10)

• cnetter
    16 years ago

According to my local violet shop, some are better than others. I was told that Ness Blueberry Puff and Quiet Riot were a couple of the more stable ones, and they have been quite stable for me for years.
    Both of these are also blooming machines for me.
    Playful Spectrum is probably my least stable fantasy violet.

• robitaillenancy1
    16 years ago

Most of mine are stable. I have many of the Croteau hybrids like BOREAL, DEEP SKY, STARTRICK, JEAN-PIERRE CROTEAU, KIMONO, MA GIGI, PHOBOS and others. I've never had one which did not have the puff areas.

There are other hybridizers that have the puff flowers but I don't remember them at this time.

Nancy

• sandrajean
    16 years ago

Hi Cnetter, I clicked on to your page and I think your yard and the view from your yard is breathtaking. Such beautiful surroundings.

Sandrajean

• fred_hill
    16 years ago

Hi,
    Just wanted to clear up a fact that Rainbow's Quiet Riot is not a puff fantasy plant. It is a very nice plant with a white fantasy, however if you are looking for a fantasy bloom that seems to be stable I would suggest Funambule. As Nancy said Jean-Pierre Croteau and Phobos are two of the better puff fantasy plants.
    Fred in NJ

• bunnycat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much! I don't have a lot of room or cash to waste on plants that don't perform as expected.

~Bunnycat
    (new owner of an almost white Playful Spectrum. Came that way. In bud but not yet in bloom. Shouldn't sellers wait to see about those that are apt to be wash-outs?)

• robitaillenancy1
    16 years ago

Don't buy unless you can see the picture. That way you know exactly what you are getting for your money.

Playful Spectrum is supposed to have green foliage. This white makes me think the plant you received is variegated.

You can green this up by spraying with fish emulsion or one tablespoon epsom salts to a gallon of warm water.

I don't think your plant is Playful Spectrum. Good luck.

Nancy

• bunnycat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Nancy~
    I didn't explain very well... The leaves are green, not white. It is the flower petals that are mostly white. They have a small dusting of very pale pinky-lavender flecks on just the very outer edges of some of the petals. No blue flecks at all. Some petals have no fantasy flecks, are just plain white. My daughter bought one too, and as the buds opened on hers it was the same story. We are both bummed. They look NOTHING like the gorgeous pictures on the seller's website. boo hoo.
    ~Bunnycat

• sandrajean
    16 years ago

Where can I see/buy these type of AV's

Thanks

• cnetter
    16 years ago

Sandrajean, here is what one my Ness Blueberry Puffs looks like today:
    {{gwi:359722}}
    It is bluer purple with very light pink puffs.

I also have Jean-Pierre Croteau and Phobos, both of which are are more reddish purple than BLueberry Puff. And I have Boreal and Magic Dragon, both of which are a blue purple and have puffs that are a deeper, rich pink.

Some of the babies I've made off of Boreal and Phobos haven't had the puffs, but Blueberry Puff seems to pass on the puffs to it's offspring very well. I haven't had blooms from babies off of Jeane or Magic Dragon yet. The last two are new to me.

• sandrajean
    16 years ago

Hi Cnetter, thank you for the photo, the flowers are gorgeous!!!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES