Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow leaves

Posted by Judy5350 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 12:12

The older leaves on some of my violets are turning yellow and speckled but are not drooping or falling off. The flowers are fine. The leaves appear healthy except for the yellowing. I use 1/2 tsp. every other week of Peters 12-36-14 (no urea) and bottled spring water. I have used this for years. Do I need a change of fertilizer? I use grow lights 8 hours per day. Please see attached photo.
Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow leaves

Judy5350,
What type of water do you use to water your AV? Bottled water, tap water, filtered tap water?

Planto

o

Something with water and fertilizer. Not dangerous. Reduce your Peters to 1/4 of a teaspoon, leach soil and remove the affected leaves - they are not going to get better.
If it was a tap water - I would say chloramine. Spring water - also comes from a tap - and depending on a brand - it is filtered really well -or not.

Leach your soil with distilled water with a small amount of a fish emiulsion. Will give your plant a boost.

I.

o

My soil is one part each of sphagnum moss, perlite, and vermiculite. Could the soil mixture also be a problem?

o

Are you talking about sphagnum peat - black stuff- or sphagnum moss - the yellow chopped parts of the plant?

You can check pH.

I.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here