Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
distance between flourescent lights and minis?

Posted by BlondieJan none (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 13:02

I'm setting up a two tube 24 inch flourescent light for my minis and babies....how far above should I have the flourescent lights? Thanks...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: distance between flourescent lights and minis?

If you're using T-12's, the usual distance is about 8". With T-8's or T-5's you can increase that distance. Ultimately, let the plants tell you. If they're reaching for the light, move it a little closer.

o

I would only buy T8 fixture. My preferred one is from Home Depot - the cool tubes are something like $8 a piece.
I remove the wraparound thingie, and attach a cord. Some of them come with cords, some with wires ready to be attached to the ceiling box. I usually save the tri-prong cords from old fixtures and rewire them.

Yes - I side with Mark - 12" distance for this one.

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: wraparound t8

o

Thanks for the info. The light is an older tabletop light, with grolux tubes in it. Can't find out if it is T8 or whatever. I used it for my mature plants, but bought a 48 inch tabletop becuse the plants got too big for it. So I'm using this for a nursery and miniviolet light.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here